2 SSDs as cache - Striped?

Percy

Feb 4, 2018
I have 2x 512Gb Samsung 860 PRO drives (MLC) ready to go in to my pool of spinning disks as cache.
But I wonder what the best set up would be for this. I want to have both write and read cache but to be able to max out my 10gbe connection they need to be striped.

So should i stripe these drives before I add them to the pool via the motherboard or is there another way I should go about this.

I'm not sure what happens if i add the 2 drives to the pool, I don't think it stripes the drives automatically, or?

Hi,

the Samsung 850Pro was very disappointing as ZIL and I think also the 860 Pro will be.
Because all prosumer SSD have no good 4k sync capacities.

I would recommend you SSD like the Samsung SM883 or the Intel DC S4610 or any other SSD at this enterprise level.
If you use a slow SSD (Slow means bad 4k sync capacities) your system gets slower and not faster.

Yes, I forgot about the optane.
It works great and has the lowest latency.

But consider if you have a home lab the ZIL boost only the small sync writes.
All large writes like video data will be written directly.
Also, a ARCL2 is only necessary if you have a real huge ZFS data pool.
ARCL2 consume memory what you can better use for ARC and Memory are always faster than a fast SSD.

Any follow up on these? I am thinking of building a Proxmox box as well. I am considering both of those Samsung SM883 and the Intel DC S4610 drives. Only thing is that the Intel is TLC and the Samsung is MLC. Other than that I heard their performance is similar and the Intel's have been rock solid in the Enterprise domain.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!