2 Node solutions

davemcl

Sep 24, 2022
Hi,
Ive been evaluating Proxmox and XCP for a while now and are leaning towards PM for a project. I only have 2 nodes at the moment with local storage (mix of SAS & SATA SSD). Can I get clarification on following.
- 2 node clusters are a bad idea due to quorum issues, but you can run a QDevice service somewhere (RPi) - could this be offsite connected via a wireguard VPN?.
- If I deploy 2 stand alone instances can I still do some sort of migration (VM shutdown) between hosts?
- I was hoping to deploy a NAS for backups, this allows full backups only as its not PBS, if I deploy PBS Ill get incremental backups - could that then run a QDevice for issue above?
- If I deploy a bare metal PBS server is it possible to also mount some CIFS shares for file level backup from Windows VM's?

TIA
Dave

Hi,
- 2 node clusters are a bad idea due to quorum issues, but you can run a QDevice service somewhere (RPi) - could this be offsite connected via a wireguard VPN?
Yes this is possible, although you should have a low latency connection for corosync to work correctly. Latency spikes might cause issues.
- If I deploy 2 stand alone instances can I still do some sort of migration (VM shutdown) between hosts?
What you can do is stopping the VM, make a backup to a shared storage (PBS could be your option here) and restore the VM from the shared storage on the other host.
- I was hoping to deploy a NAS for backups, this allows full backups only as its not PBS, if I deploy PBS Ill get incremental backups - could that then run a QDevice for issue above?
Yes, you could run the QDevice on the PBS host AFAIK, this should be tested
- If I deploy a bare metal PBS server is it possible to also mount some CIFS shares for file level backup from Windows VM's?
For VMs it is better to use the block level backups as then you do not need to rescan the whole filesystem during backup (as is done for file level backups).

Reactions: Moayad
Thanks Chris, I guess I could introduce a 3rd node and just virtualise PBS on it in the short term too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!