[SOLVED] Can't Use NFS Share

Keyninja

Apr 15, 2019
So, after getting this error "mkdir /mnt/nfs-backup01/images: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 954. (500)" when trying to add my NFS share on FreeNAS for backups, I manually added the server via "pvesm add nfs backup01 --server=10.x.x.x --export=/mnt/pool01 --path=/mnt/nfs-backup01". Once I had that added, and it did at least add without errors, I get the same "mkdir /mnt/nfs-backup01/images: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 954. (500)" When I navigate to that storage device under one of the nodes in the Web UI. Any ideas out there?

I've self-resolved! In FreeNAS, under the share settings, I experimentally set the mapall users setting to root, which makes anyone using that directory access it with root permissions. The issue then went away, giving me full access to the share. To further lock down the security, I created a "Proxmox" user with write permissions, and mapall-users'd that user to the share. Issue resolved!

I've self-resolved! In FreeNAS, under the share settings, I experimentally set the mapall users setting to root, which makes anyone using that directory access it with root permissions. The issue then went away, giving me full access to the share. To further lock down the security, I created a "Proxmox" user with write permissions, and mapall-users'd that user to the share. Issue resolved!
THANK YOUUUUU DUDE LOVE YOU

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: voklav
Hi, sorry I am very new to Proxmox. I am using MSA 2040 SAN and after rebooting the device, my Proxmox VMs are unable to power on and getting this error:
"mkdir /mnt/pve/SAN2/dump: Read-only file system at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 872."
Please help!

had the issue and resolved it exactly like this. thank you for posting the solution!

Reactions: michaeljd
If anyone is looking for the way to make this work for an NFS share on OpenMediaVault, use the following share options:

subtree_check,insecure,no_root_squash,anonuid=100,anongid=100

and make sure the folder you are sharing is owned by group 'users' (gid 100)

If anyone is looking for the way to make this work for an NFS share on OpenMediaVault, use the following share options:

You really helped me! Thank You.

Reactions: hapklaar

thanks a lot, it helped

This has worked for me on OMV 6

3 YEARS LATER nearly and this post is still helping people! Thank you!

This is accurate for Truenas Scale as well. Mounted as NFS 4.2

Edit NFS share -> Advanced -> Mapall User

TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.1
Proxmox 7.4-3

Reactions: werter and Zippoku
its work thanks

Hi,
I try to use my FritzBox as Backup-Server.
What I have done.
1) Created a new FritzBox User with NAS permissions
2) Added the the external ssd
1699863774439.png
3) Added a CIFS storage in Proxmox
1699863838463.png

When I start the backup I get the error
Code:
TASK ERROR: could not activate storage 'FritzNAS': mkdir /mnt/pve/FritzNAS/dump: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/Plugin.pm line 1389.

The SSD has NTFS format

Any advice please :)

EDIT:
It works now!
What I have did/changed

1) In FritzBox I changed the dir that the user can use to "All"
1699869497357.png

Where I get in FritzNAS
1699869543275.png

2) In Proxmox I created the CIFS add specified the path to /ext_ssd
1699869522268.png

And the backup Job running
Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 100 101 102 103 104 105 107 150 210 --mode snapshot --all 0 --mailnotification always --compress zstd --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --storage FritzNAS --prune-backups 'keep-last=1' --node pve
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'cifs' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp1546035_100 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 100 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2023-11-13 10:47:02
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: nginxproxymanager
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: nginxproxymanager
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: starting first sync /proc/1913/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp1546035_100
INFO: first sync finished - transferred 2.87G bytes in 30s
INFO: suspending guest
INFO: starting final sync /proc/1913/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp1546035_100
INFO: final sync finished - transferred 0 bytes in 3s
INFO: resuming guest
INFO: guest is online again after 3 seconds
INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/FritzNAS/dump/vzdump-lxc-100-2023_11_13-10_47_02.tar.zst'
INFO: Total bytes written: 2975539200 (2.8GiB, 5.2MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 1.33GB

Attachments

• 1699865389157.png
    1699865389157.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1699865432494.png
    1699865432494.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1699865495812.png
    1699865495812.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1699865628107.png
    1699865628107.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If you're in production maybe not the node - until you can down the containers safely- When ever I make storage changes - i like to restart - it's not always necessary - but i prefer it as a general rule - I like to have my external NAS's restarted and up and running before i restart the node so that it can find the share. HTH

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!