Can QEMU-KVM execute in LXC on PVE?

dougpuob

Jan 13, 2021
For a project, I need to run testing in QEMU with an emulation device. Our CI/CD environment is based on awesome PVE, if possible I'd like to integrate this testing into the current environment too.

So I need to execute QEMU/KVM in an LXC on PVE, but I ran into a problem. The QEMU showed:
```
Could not access KVM kernel module: Operation not permitted
qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: Operation not permitted
```

Even though, executing QEMU without `--enable-kvm` in the LXC is OK, except terrible extremely slow.

Is the above a possible idea?
If YES, do you know what is going on in my situation? And there is a doubt, should I mount the KVM module in the Operating system of HOST, LXC, or both?

The following are my settings and detailed information.

Script:
```
# qemu-system-x86_64 \
-m 4G \
-smp 8 \
-enable-kvm \
-usb -device usb-tablet \
-drive file=windows-10.qcow2,format=qcow2
```

Settings in HOST for the lxc container:

1. lxc config.

```
root@amd-r9-x3900:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/105.conf
arch: amd64
cores: 20
features: mount=nfs,nesting=1
hostname: devpc-ubuntu
memory: 20480
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=22:22:A3:78:B2:CE,ip=dhcp,type=veth
net1: name=eth1,bridge=vmbr1,hwaddr=96:23:7C:54:6A:aa,ip=dhcp,type=veth
ostype: ubuntu
parent: setup_essential_tools
rootfs: local-storpool:subvol-105-disk-0,size=600G
swap: 4096
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 10:232 rwm
```

2. The CPU supports SVM.
```
root@amd-r9-x3900:~# lscpu | grep svm
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt tce topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext perfctr_llc mwaitx cpb cat_l3 cdp_l3 hw_pstate sme ssbd mba sev ibpb stibp vmmcall sev_es fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 cqm rdt_a rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb sha_ni xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local clzero irperf xsaveerptr rdpru wbnoinvd arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold avic v_vmsave_vmload vgif umip rdpid overflow_recov succor smca
```

3. The nested is ENABLED
```
root@amd-r9-x3900:~# cat /sys/module/kvm_amd/parameters/nested
```

4. The KVM module is there.
```
root@amd-r9-x3900:~# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_amd 114688 42
kvm 823296 1 kvm_amd
irqbypass 16384 19 kvm
ccp 94208 1 kvm_amd
root@amd-r9-x3900:~#
```

nested kvm is for kvm in kvm (qemu in qemu).

I really don't known if you can run qemu-kvm inside an lxc container, but lxc container should be at least with privileged mode enabled.
Hi @spirit ,
Thank you for your reply. I created the LXC with the privileged mode, seems a failure story. But there is still hope, QEMU in QEMU.

Hi @panassidi :
Nice, thank you for the information. I am interested in the issue. Can I have the link to the patch for this issue?
I suppose TS talks about this fix:
Code:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 10:232 rwm
should be changed to
Code:
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 10:232 rwm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!