ssd m2 nvme file system

Zaman

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
I'm planning to run proxmox on ssd m2 nvme
so what your suggest file system to install on it?
the 2*ssd m2 nvme raid1
so what your suggest to buy for ssd m2 nvme ?
what best way as you suggest ?
note:
I have another 4*ssd kingston dc450r 960g
the server hp dl380 gen10
best regards

I was think as m2 is faster than others.
Oh, and that is in general not true. M.2 is a physical definition of the contacts, not the protocol that is running on it. You can run PCIe, SATA and USB on it, so it is not generally faster, but can be.

Oh, and that is in general not true. M.2 is a physical definition of the contacts, not the protocol that is running on it. You can run PCIe, SATA and USB on it, so it is not generally faster, but can be.
as I know ssd m.2 nvme based on pci more faster than limitation of sata so the main os (proxmox) and and any additional high io like db etc mounted to it
about dl380 gen10 found this:
1653306915247.png
and this:
1653307023044.png
is this mean need specific requirements or as u mention?

Default primary riser of DL380G10 has support only for M.2 SATA SSDs.

M.2 slot on this riser has M-key, but no PCIe connection.
You may use NVMe in PCIe AIC format, like Samsung PM1735a, or some PCIe->M.2 adapter.

Last edited:
It is A brands (HPE, Dell, Lenovo, Fujitsu ...) thing, since they need to sell overprised drives with cages.
B brands (Intel, Supermicro, Tyan, Gigabyte, Asus) do have servers with M.2 NVMe support.
Really? Supermicro has also a standard form factor that is not M.2: EDSFF and U.2. Maybe M.2 is only used on the mainboard, but that is "non-enterprisy", because it is not hot-pluggable.

Really? Supermicro has also a standard form factor that is not M.2: EDSFF and U.2. Maybe M.2 is only used on the mainboard, but that is "non-enterprisy", because it is not hot-pluggable.

M.2 slots on HPE DL380G10 risers or Dell BOSS v1 adapter are not hot-pluggable. Many PCIe SSDs/NVRAM accelerator cards are also not hot-pluggable.

Supermicro has mainboards with M.2, PCIe-> M.2 adapters, M.2 SSDs in hardware validation list, etc... They let their customers to decide, without this "non-enterprise" bs.

PS: poking around PCIe subsystem, while server is in productive use, is kind to risky for me. I would prefer to take system out of service for a NVME replacement and then hotplug capability does not matter much.

Reactions: Zaman
M.2 slots on HPE DL380G10 risers or Dell BOSS v1 adapter are not hot-pluggable. Many PCIe SSDs/NVRAM accelerator cards are also not hot-pluggable.
Yeah, of course they are not hot-pluggable. Supermicro's EDSFF are hot-pluggable, so that they can be changed on the fly.

I would prefer to take system out of service for a NVME replacement and then hotplug capability does not matter much.
Depends on your system requirements. We have systems that have to run 24/7 and be accessible from all around the world, so hot-plug is a must.
BTW: I recently had a NVMe failure in an Oracle hardware and it had crashed the whole system to the point that it needed to be unplugged for a few minutes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!