How to connect to wifi after installation without any other source of internet?

saswatasarkar13

Aug 5, 2020
Hi, I am very new to proxmox. My PC's Ethernet is broken so i have to use WiFi. i am using a TP-link T2UH. I have installed proxmox. i can see the interface on "ip a". Please give me some light.

Edit:- Since there is no internet i cant get "iw" tools as well.

WiFi is not suited (and therefore not supported) for Proxmox VE, I suggest you repair your PC or just use a USB connected network card.

WiFi is not suited (and therefore not supported) for Proxmox VE, I suggest you repair your PC or just use a USB connected network card.
Hi Tom, I have the same issue but I have no access to External Ethernet.
What's the reason for not shipping a wifi manager with Proxmox VE by default.
Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Thanks in advance.

Proxmox is at first a Server-Class Hypervisor. If you want some unusual quirks install on top of Debian and you can add more "uncommon" features.
Or Install, while you still have internet, what you may need in the future... for now you have to replace your NIC or find some other way to get data on your PVE.

Proxmox is at first a Server-Class Hypervisor. If you want some unusual quirks install on top of Debian and you can add more "uncommon" features.
Or Install, while you still have internet, what you may need in the future... for now you have to replace your NIC or find some other way to get data on your PVE.
Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

The main problem with having a working bridge (like PVE does with vmbr0) on a wifi driver is the lack of proper hardware support. It is really, really bad and it does not work (technically not able and not in software fixable) on mainstream wifi chips. They are simple not built to work that way. There are more expensive ones that work, but that is another story.

So the lesson to learn here is: Don' use Wifi for virtualization.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!