[SOLVED] After changing disk type for Windows-VM boot fails

Jul 7, 2021
I was hoping to upgrade my disk configuration for a Windows VM via the following steps (which worked flawless on numerous other systems before):

- add small SCSI-disk to VM causing Windows to install the VirtIO drivers
- change disk type from ide0 to scsi0

However, if I change the disk type (also from ide0 to sata0) Windows 10 fails during boot with the error message "inaccessible boot device".

Any hints/ideas?

I was hoping to upgrade my disk configuration for a Windows VM via the following steps (which worked flawless on numerous other systems before):

- add small SCSI-disk to VM causing Windows to install the VirtIO drivers
- change disk type from ide0 to scsi0

However, if I change the disk type (also from ide0 to sata0) Windows 10 fails during boot with the error message "inaccessible boot device".

Any hints/ideas?
Have you installed the drivers ?
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/vir...ownloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.215-2/

Because the windwos driver detection doesnt install the drivers.

hmm can you post some screenshots of
-vm options
-vm hardware
-bluescreen i the novnc session?

Which Windows OS is running ?
Have you installed the latest driver iso because I gt some issues with some version of the driver iso and maybe this is a prolem with the latest version.
Is this a migrated vm from another hypervisor like XEN, HyperV or something like that.

Yes, it is the latest version. Config attached before changing to scsi. The VM runs W10. As said before, this worked flawlessly on a couple of other machines before.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 13.02.26.jpg

It is migrated. It boots fine as it is...
I had similar problems with a Windows 2016 migrated from XEN because of some registry entries. Depending on the Hypervisor it has used before this can be a problem.
Here is a thread (with legacy boot but maybe it helps)
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/Übernahme-win-10-von-esxi-auf-pve-inaccassible-boot-device.96728/
Espeacialy loading the dirver in rescue shell helps sometimes
dism /image:C:\ /add-driver /driver:E:\vioscsi\w10\amd64

If that doesnt help maybe another user can help thats all I know that can help ... maybe try older driver also

Tried to repair boot but to no avail.

I then discovered that it would boot into safe mode. did that once. since then it runs fine and also boots up normally using scsi.

I have no clue on why but I don't care too much either.

Tried to repair boot but to no avail.

I then discovered that it would boot into safe mode. did that once. since then it runs fine and also boots up normally using scsi.

I have no clue on why but I don't care too much either.
sometimes the ways of windows are unfathomable ;)
:)
Can you mark the thread as solved ? :)

When I tried to run the dism command from the recovery console, I got an error that C: didn't exist. So first I had to use the Drvload command so C: would show up in the recovery console. Then I was able to run the dism command to add the driver permanently.

(My CD-ROM shows up as D: )
drvload d:\vioscsi\2k19\amd64\vioscsi.inf dism /image:C:\ /add-driver /driver:D:\vioscsi\2k19\amd64

To see the status of the drives, you can run this command:
wmic logicaldisk get deviceid, volumename, description

Last edited:
to keep in history:
in order to have windows installed drivers prior changing the controller add the new drive 1-2GB on the target controller and reboot windows.
When it see the SCSI drive - it will load drivers and then you can change the boot drive controller - everything will work then.

to keep in history:
in order to have windows installed drivers prior changing the controller add the new drive 1-2GB on the target controller and reboot windows.
When it see the SCSI drive - it will load drivers and then you can change the boot drive controller - everything will work then.

This is a little weird from my point of view, but I confirm that solved this problem to me also.

Thanks!

Tas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!