PVE Cluster. Only able to log into web manager if both nodes are on.

vlad76

Dec 18, 2019
I have 2 servers. I've added made the cluster on pve1 and joined pve2. I did all this in the web GUI.
Now, if one is off, then I can't log into the web gui at all. It just gives me an authentication failure message. Both have to be online. Then I can log in using either IP address

Last edited:
Reactions: aboy
Yeah had the same issue this morning. Hopefully they will add that to the GUI configuration because otherwise you feel lost. At least the error message when you login should tell you that all the nodes are not up...

setting expected votes to 1 is really dangerous - if you do not understand the impliciations please do not set it (this is also the reason why it won't be on the GUI anytime soon).

setting expected votes to 1 is really dangerous - if you do not understand the impliciations please do not set it (this is also the reason why it won't be on the GUI anytime soon).
...then proxmox should find a solution for this problem. because users with clusters very often have 1 Node running instead of 3 nodes. other vendors also could log into 1 node because somethimes you have to shutdown/reboot a single machine instead of starting the whole cluster do the job and shutdown node 2 and 3 for 30 sec. jobtime.

there is no solution for this "problem" - in any quorum based system, a quorum is required to know whether you are allowed to do modifications (the alternative is frequent split brain situations which are far worse then going read-only!)

look I do really thing that this is a problem. I often don't need all hosts running in a cluster... in VMware you can choose to put a host in maintenance mode which is very convenient. Instead now I have this misleading and frankly incorrect error "login failed" I have to SSH into the powered on host and run the command
Code:
pvecm expected 1
to be able to log in.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!