Moving Served Files From Host to Container

ChrispyChris

Jul 8, 2016
Hey guys, I just updated the BIOS and Proxmox to the latest version for each, and wanted to tackle one more issue. I've been hosting a couple network drives on my Proxmox host, basically just a network directory for music and one for torrents. I play music SOMETIMES from this directory, but usually it's just for storage. Inside the torrent directory, I store movies sometimes for my parents, and then set up MiniDLNA to point to that (ALL ON THE HOST :/). That means sometimes they will be streaming a movie across the network with their TV (I decided against Plex for my simple case, I showed my mom how to access the file directly on her TV).

I wanted to move this "service" of serving files + miniDLNA sharing to a container. This is where I have been seeking help. On the host I used mdadm to use a couple SSDs for a RAID1 array. Currently /mnt/RAID/Torrents and /mnt/RAID/Music are the two directories I'd like to share. I figured a bind mount to a container should work just fine with that.

The main concern I have is: How do you guys go about figuring out how many CPUs to allocate, RAM, and disk space for a task like this? I'm not a complete noob to computers by any means and understand the roles of each, but I'm newer when it comes to virtualization and stuff like Proxmox. I can't imagine the disk space needs to be any bigger than eight gigabytes or whatever just to run the Ubuntu template. RAM and CPU are different, I'm at a loss. For the most part, the container will be idle just sharing the directories, but from time to time my parents will stream a movie directly from the shared directory, and I may stream music via mpd at times.

I appreciate any input, help, suggestions, or guidance. I'm still somewhat of a noob when it comes to Linux sysadmin stuff, although I've improved a lot over the years, questions like this still leave me a bit lost.

The main concern I have is: How do you guys go about figuring out how many CPUs to allocate, RAM, and disk space for a task like this?
You biggest headache should be the user remapping of that bind-mount. CPU and RAM is easy and the same as with any VM/LXC. Start with something like 1 vCPU + 512MB RAM for a linux guest. Then look at the CPU utilization. If it is way too often at 100% add another vCPU until the services are snappy enough for you. Same with the RAM. Search the syslog for OOM logs and monitor the swap utilization. If you encounter OOMs or heavy swapping add more RAM until it is fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!