Windows 10 clone : Sysprep not work

fabienfs

Jun 6, 2021
Hello,

I created a Windows 10 VM on which I did all the updates, installed all the drivers, made all my personnal configurations and now I would like to be able to duplicate this VM.

So, I wanted to convert this VM as a template but before, that I saw that it was necessary to run the SYSPREP utility to delete certain identification data specific to the machine.

Unfortunately, and like many people apparently, SYSPREP on Windows 10 (Win10 21H1 x64) gives an error and does not work "Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation" (setupact.log : https://pastebin.com/R45BRgvN)

I read on various forums that it could be a Windows bug which would not allow to run SYSPREP after some Windows updates?

The goal for me is precisely to duplicate an already up-to-date machine with all my preferences and not to duplicate a completely virgin machine.

So my question is: is it serious to duplicate a Windows 10 VM without Sysprep?
Is there possibly another way to remove certain Windows specific identifications from a clone?

thanks

Reactions: fpausp

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!