Proxmox VE 6 - Removing cluster configuration

Jul 23, 2019
I am new to Proxmox VE, still reading the docs, so please forgive my easy question.

I need to completely remove the cluster configuration from one of my servers. There are no nodes attached, no VMs, no containers.

I simply created the cluster by mistake, and now I would like to know the correct way to accomplish this under PVE 6.

I have found a dozen tutorials on the matter, but they are all about PVE 5.x and earlier, I don't know if they all apply to PVE 6 as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you will offer.

I have one machine with several virtual machines and containers. I added a new machine to this in a cluster config. Now I want to remove the second machine again. The second machine has no VMs or containers. Does the above apply? Will my first machine survive?

This is a few years old at this point and if this counts as thread jacking let me know and I'll delete and start a new thread... it's just the same exact issue and I must have screwed up the fix somehow....

https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#pvecm_separate_node_without_reinstall minus the last few steps.

Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster corosync
pmxcfs -l
rm /etc/corosync/*
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster

should do the trick.
I had a cluster with three nodes that were put in a cluster before their IPs had to be changed- I ran these cmds on each node hoping to roll back to a clean slate on each but it doesnt look like it worked.

after reading the link I ran the following on the nodes:
(with <node to delete> run 2 times for each, 2 other nodes)

Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster
systemctl stop corosync

pmxcfs -l

rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
rm -r /etc/corosync/*

killall pmxcfs

systemctl start pve-cluster

pvecm delnode <node to delete>

# ^this^ failed which the doc states is expected... so I ran

pvecm expected 1

pvecm delnode <node2>

this seemed to work from the WebGUI after cleaning up the /etc/pve/nodes directory but now when I try to rejoin to a new cluster the nodes now report:

Code:
detected the following error(s):

* authentication key '/etc/corosync/authkey' already exists
* corosync is already running, is this node already in a cluster?!
TASK ERROR: Check if node may join a cluster failed!

the primary node that I created the cluster on now reads "Standalone node - no cluster defined" but if I try to create a cluster I get:

Code:
cluster config '/etc/pve/corosync.conf' already exists (500)

I'd really like to avoid having to reinstall on all three nodes but at this point it might be the only way out of this problem that I know how to do...

thanks

Reactions: StanleyHODL
if the steps above failed (although I am not sure how - the error messages you posted indicate you missed some of the steps?), a clean re-install might work best.

Reactions: pgis
I thought I had it but then I accidentally chose the wrong NIC trying to rejoin to cluster and now I cant even log in... ‍♂️ loading the ISO onto a new flashdrive now...

thanks

I have one machine with several virtual machines and containers. I added a new machine to this in a cluster config. Now I want to remove the second machine again. The second machine has no VMs or containers. Does the above apply? Will my first machine survive?
Hey @Colin 't Hart , you've probably fixed this some other way. But for documentations worth, to remove a node from the cluster (which is NOT the master node) use the command below to remove nodes:

Code:
pvecm delnode <node-name>

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!