Add pam user to pve admin group?

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I have been trying to find this info but all examples point to adding a pve user, and when I try to add the pam user to the pve group it says, not to anyones surprise, that the user doesn't exists.
And if I add the user in the GUI as a PAM user that user does not appear when listing users in the CLI.

Why I want this is due to nfs. I want user 1000 and group 1000 to be used when connection to my nfs server.

Last edited:
It's possible by:
1. Add the system user as a PVE user: pveum user add user@pam (assuming user@pam exists on the system)
- It will now show up with: pveum user list
2. Add a permission for the user, giving it PVEAdmin: pveum acl modify <PATH> --roles PVEAdmin --users user@pam

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattias Hedman
It's possible by:
1. Add the system user as a PVE user: pveum user add user@pam (assuming user@pam exists on the system)
- It will now show up with: pveum user list
2. Add a permission for the user, giving it PVEAdmin: pveum acl modify / --roles PVEAdmin --users user@pam
Yes! That solved it for me! :)

Reactions: dylanw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!