Backup ceph-fs?

Emilio González Montaña

Renowned Member
Jun 28, 2015
ociotec.com
Hi, I’ve started to use pbs for VMs and containers backups, but I don’t find a way to backup Ceph file systems... I’ve created ceph-fs in the proxmox cluster.
Is there any proper way to do it? If not, is there any plan for proxmox or pbs next releases to support this feature?
Thanks!

Hi, I’ve started to use pbs for VMs and containers backups, but I don’t find a way to backup Ceph file systems... I’ve created ceph-fs in the proxmox cluster.
Is there any proper way to do it? If not, is there any plan for proxmox or pbs next releases to support this feature?
Thanks!
Hello, you can for example use the proxmox-backup-client from a PVE host as discussed here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/cephfs-content-backed-up-in-proxmox-backup-server.84681/
example: proxmox-backup-client backup cephfs.pxar:/mnt/pve/cephfs --repository xxx

Reactions: kwinz
Thanks for the info, I will try it... it would be perfect if a backup solution was present at web UI.

Otherwise should I snapshot the CephFS filesystem and then mount the snapshot and backup the snapshot? Or can I backup without snapshotting first? That sounds like quite the involved script and cronjob.

Yes, indeed this needs to be in the UI!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!