PROXMOX Server Freezes, does not respond.

OXIB

Feb 19, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have a DELL Poweredge T610 running PROXMOX. I have three VMs on it.
For the last month, it just freezes and does not respond to any commands. The VMs show up as having a high RAM usage and the only way to get it back up and running is to do a hard reset, pushing the power button on the server and starting again. Then it's fine for a 4 - 5 days and then it happens again.
I checked the syslog and I see this entry:

"DMAR-IR: This system BIOS has enabled interrupt remapping on a chipset that contains an erratum making that feature unstable. To maintain system stability interrupt remapping is being disabled. Please contact your BIOS vendor for an update."

I have checked the DELL website but there is no BIOS update. I am running the last one posted, version 6.6.0.
I searched a bit on the net and found an article related to suse enterprise server and it's very similar to what I am experiencing. Ran this command -
/sbin/lspci -nn | grep -qE '8086:(340[36].*rev 13|3405.*rev (12|13|22))' && echo "Interrupt remapping is broken" and I get the interrupt remapping is broken.

I am good at keeping the server up to date with the updates, so I am sure I am running the latest kernel. As for the BIOS, I read that on some systems it is possible to disable the interrupt remapping under the Intel VT-d option. If this is done, would it cause my LSI-9211-8i card to stop working in pass-through mode? Would this affect my VMs at all?

I got DMESG log, it is attached as it's too long to paste it in here. It won't let me post it. . If you can provide any advice as to how to fix or a workaround, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    71.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi,

please install if not already done "intel-microcode"
After you have installed this package please reboot the server.
This package will inject the latest available microcode in your CPU.

Maybe this helps.

If this is done, would it cause my LSI-9211-8i card to stop working in pass-through mode?
Yes, you need this for PCIe pass-through devices.

Hi,

please install if not already done "intel-microcode"
After you have installed this package please reboot the server.
This package will inject the latest available microcode in your CPU.

Maybe this helps.

Yes, you need this for PCIe pass-through devices.

Thanks very much for the reply Wolfgang.
I have not installed that yet.
Just a question - do I just need to add to the package repository /etc/apt/sources.list the line
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free
and then run sudo apt install intel-microcode?
then reboot and that should be all to do?
Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the reply Wolfgang.
I have not installed that yet.
Just a question - do I just need to add to the package repository /etc/apt/sources.list the line
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main non-free
and then run sudo apt install intel-microcode?
then reboot and that should be all to do?
Thanks again.

I downloaded and ran the intel microcode, rebooted but when I run = dmesg | grep 'microcode' I still get this:
1596483136244.png
that's what I got before I installed the intel microcode.
is there a way to check if somehow the installed failed or something happened?

Then there is no microcode available to fix this CPU.
I would stick to an old working kernel and retry with upcoming new kernels.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!