Failed deactivating swap /dev/pve/swap

silvered.dragon

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2015
Hi to all,
in a 3 node ceph cluster buit on 3 identical hp gen8 dl360p servers, I'm always receiving the error attached everytime I'm rebooting a node. Before rebooting the node I always move all the vms to another node, so when I press reboot there is no running VM. To fix this I have to force an hardware restart, cause after 30 minutes it still stucks on this error.
Is there a way to fix this? many thanks
**edit: the error happens with all those HPs servers but in the same cluster I have another node without ceph, only for utility stuffs, and this will reboot without problems.

Attachments

• Cattura.JPG
    Cattura.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 105
Hi,
please try to check the syslog for errors. Also you could try to run a systemctl stop swap.target before you reboot the system and check with systemctl status swap.target for errors.

Hi,
please try to check the syslog for errors. Also you could try to run a systemctl stop swap.target before you reboot the system and check with systemctl status swap.target for errors.
Thank you @Chris for the reply,
attached you can find the syslog in a timestamp around the reboot process,

if you check at
Feb 15 17:58:20 nodo1 systemd[1]: Stopping PVE API Daemon...
this is exacly when it stucks, but unfortunately I cannot see any errors.

For errors checking with systemctl, I have to wait the week cause this is a production environment and I really don't want to test things during the job even if I can migrate VMs to other nodes, I will update this thread saturday.

thank you

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    24.4 KB · Views: 18
Here, same problem using 2 nodes with cephs. I has been tryed to do that Chris say then reboot fine. Antother try witout it and fine too.

I'll be watching.

Here, same problem using 2 nodes with cephs. I has been tryed to do that Chris say then reboot fine. Antother try witout it and fine too.

I'll be watching.

lately I've noticed that if I run these commands AFTER SHUTTING DOWN ALL THE VMS so you will have enough free phisical ram to make things works

Code:
swapoff -a
wait some seconds
Code:
swapon -a
and then reboot from web interface, will not hung during the reboot process.. at least in this way I can reboot the nodes from remote without hard reset the servers

Tip noted. thank you.

If it is a bug maybe they should be reviewed for next release.

Can someone notify it? I'm a novice and I don't know how.

After kernel upgrade I did a Hibernate on the VM's and a following reboot hung with the same msg as the above shown by izegd.
Had to powercycle the host.

Similar message here , 5 node cluster with Dell Servers on Intel CPUs, fully updated version 6 with community subscription. I had to reboot two servers for maintenance in last two month and each had this message:

Failed deactivating swap /dev/pve/swap
A Stop job is running for /dev/dm-8 (8 min..../ no limit)

Once I saw no limit and already 8 min wait time I hard rebooted from iDrac.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!