[SOLVED] Mailq Shows Undelivered Emails But I Do Not Have Postfix Setup

mhayhurst

Jul 21, 2016
Hello everyone!

I have emails that keep showing up in the queue and they are failing because of a connection time out but I do not care about that. I was wondering why these emails keep showing up in the queue even after I delete them using postsuper -d ALL? Plus, I do not currently have any SMTP mail settings setup so where are these emails coming from? Is there something else trying to send these? It's definitely my email address and I may have set something up a long time ago for a test but it's not there now.

root@proxmox2:~# pveversion pve-manager/5.4-14/b0e640f7 (running kernel: 4.15.18-28-pve)

root@proxmox2:~# mailq -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient------- 80D6B719BD 1217 Tue May 12 08:26:19 root@proxmox2 (connect to mx1.privateemail.com[198.54.122.213]:25: Connection timed out) [I]myemail@address.com[/I] 20378704FA 1217 Mon May 11 08:26:19 root@proxmox2 (connect to mx1.privateemail.com[198.54.122.213]:25: Connection timed out) [I]myemail@address.com[/I] BF46170456 1217 Sun May 10 08:26:18 root@proxmox2 (connect to mx1.privateemail.com[198.54.122.213]:25: Connection timed out) [I]myemail@address.com[/I] 7ADB6720F3 1217 Wed May 13 08:26:19 root@proxmox2 (connect to mx2.privateemail.com[198.54.122.215]:25: Connection timed out) [I]myemail@address.com[/I] 726A171B6F 1217 Thu May 14 08:26:19 root@proxmox2 (connect to mx1.privateemail.com[198.54.122.213]:25: Connection timed out) [I]myemail@address.com[/I]

No where does: mx1.privateemail.com or mx2.privateemail.com exist in /etc/postfix:

root@proxmox2:~# grep -i -R mx1.privateemail.com /etc/postfix/ root@proxmox2:~#

root@proxmox2:~# grep -i -R mx2.privateemail.com /etc/postfix/ root@proxmox2:~#

PVE sends mails on certain events (depending on your setup this includes - results of backup jobs, smartd notifications, HA events, or any output of a cron job). The emails get sent to the e-mail address you've configured during installation ( can be seen/changed at Datacenter->Users-> 'root@pam')

IOW all mail for the root user on your system gets forwarded to the mail-address you've configured for the 'root@pam' user in PVE

since you never configured postfix it does look-up the MX record for privateemail.com and tries to send the mail there.

I hope this helps!

PVE sends mails on certain events (depending on your setup this includes - results of backup jobs, smartd notifications, HA events, or any output of a cron job). The emails get sent to the e-mail address you've configured during installation ( can be seen/changed at Datacenter->Users-> 'root@pam')

IOW all mail for the root user on your system gets forwarded to the mail-address you've configured for the 'root@pam' user in PVE

since you never configured postfix it does look-up the MX record for privateemail.com and tries to send the mail there.

I hope this helps!

Yes, that helps and thank you! So in order for these emails to complete I would definitely need to setup the SMTP settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf correct?

yes - you should also be able to get this going by running `dpkg-reconfigure postfix` (if you prefer the guided approach)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!