live migration change qcow2 disk into raw

Gian-Piero Borello

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

First of all let me say thanks to the Proxmox Team for the wonderful work they are doing. I really like PVE.

Last week I have installed a couple of Proxmox 6.0 nodes to test them before migrating my 5.x production servers.

My nodes setup has only local storages (no shared storage) and I use qcow2 disk format for my vms

Trying to migrate node-to-node a stopped vm everything works fine (the process ends and the disk format are still qcow2), vice versa if I try a live migration (running vm) the process ends with no issues but the vm disks are converted to a raw format!

Is that behaviour a bug or a wanted feature or I do not understand how to use the live migration having qcow2 vms?

Can you help me?

Thanks

Hi, thanks for your fast reply.

Before following your hint, and open a new bug in bugzilla, I took a look to the Proxmox bugzilla system and I found a bug (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2070) which is quite similar to mine. So I repeated the tests discovering that:

1) if you use the gui for live migrate node-to-node => The migration is OK BUT the vm disks format are always converted to raw

2) if you use the cli for live migration node-to-node using the following command:

qm migrate vm_number destination_node --with-local-disks --online => The migration is OK AND the vm disks are NOT converted to raw

3) if you use the cli for live migration node-to-node using the following command:

qm migrate vm_number destination_node --with-local-disks --online --targetstorage destination_storage => The migration is OK BUT the vm disks are converted to raw

So it seems that the Proxmox 6.0 migration gui always adds the --targetstorage parameter to the migration command and doing that the system chooses to convert the disks format from qcow2 to raw type.

So for now I think it's better not to use the live-migration gui and use the cli.

Best regards

Gian-Piero

Experiencing the same problem. The bug report states that a patch has been applied on 2020-01-21.

When will a new version be released?

Experiencing the same problem. The bug report states that a patch has been applied on 2020-01-21.

When will a new version be released?

Already available.

(since qemu-server: 6.1-5)

My server has 6.1-6 but still the disk got converted from qcow2 to raw when I live migrated via the GUI yesterday.

My server has 6.1-6 but still the disk got converted from qcow2 to raw when I live migrated via the GUI yesterday.

works here. please check/compare your:

pveversion -v on both hosts.

Reactions: larsen
Ah, found my mistake: The new host has been freshly installed, but apparently needed the "pve-no-subscription" repository added and upgraded to get the most recent version. Haven't tested but this should be fine then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!