Proxmox backup

ioanv

Dec 11, 2014
Hi all

My setup is a cluster with 8 Proxmox nodes and storage on NFS shares exported from a Synology storage.
My question is about backup:

In order to minimize the impact on the storage, I have split the backup for each node in each day of the week. For each node I have chosen to exclud some of the VM from backup. Th e reason is I don't want to backup for example a VM used as template but I don't want to forget to add a newly created VM to the backup task.

So the task for node 2 for example looks like this:
"All except 105, 109 and 110"

If I add a new VM, it will be automatically included in the backup.

However my main problem is that, when I move (migrate) a VM from let's say node 2 to node 3, it will NOT be automatically added to the backup task of node 3, thus remaining outside backup.

Any way around this problem?

Kind regards
Vlad

Last edited:
Hi all

My setup is a cluster with 5 Proxmox nodes and storage on NFS shares exported from a Synology storage.
My question is about backup:

In order to minimize the impact on the storage, I have split the backup for each node in each day of the week. For each node I have chosen to exclud some of the VM from backup. Th e reason is I don't want to backup for example a VM used as template but I don't want to forget to add a newly created VM to the backup task.

So the task for node 2 for example looks like this:
"All except 105, 109 and 110"

If I add a new VM, it will be automatically included in the backup.

However my main problem is that, when I move (migrate) a VM from let's say node 2 to node 3, it will NOT be automatically added to the backup task of node 3, thus remaining outside backup.

Any way around this problem?

Kind regards
Vlad
HI,
this will not work if you explicitly limit your backup task to certain nodes. What you could do is create different pools for the different sets of VMs you would like to backup and backup the pool. Of course then you have to make sure that new VMs are assigned to the corresponding pools on creation.

HI,
this will not work if you explicitly limit your backup task to certain nodes. What you could do is create different pools for the different sets of VMs you would like to backup and backup the pool. Of course then you have to make sure that new VMs are assigned to the corresponding pools on creation.
Oops, I misread your there... Ignore my previous comment. What you describe should work. Can you post the output of
/etc/pve/vzdump.cron

Hi Chris

Tnx for your reply. Here is the output:

0 0 * * 6 root #vzdump --mailnotification always --all 1 --storage proxbkp --exclude 100,107,130,116,110,123,132,127,109,113,136,117,121,135 --mailto x --compress lzo --quiet 1 --mode snapshot
0 0 * * 1 root vzdump --mailto x --mailnotification always --storage proxbkp --all 1 --mode snapshot --node prox1 --quiet 1 --compress lzo
0 0 * * 2 root vzdump --all 1 --storage proxbkp --mailnotification always --mailto x --exclude 147 --quiet 1 --compress lzo --node prox2 --mode snapshot
0 0 * * 3 root vzdump --all 1 --storage proxbkp --mailnotification always --mailto x --compress lzo --quiet 1 --node prox3 --mode snapshot
0 0 * * 4 root vzdump --storage proxbkp --all 1 --mailnotification always --mailto x --quiet 1 --compress lzo --node prox4 --mode snapshot
0 0 * * 5 root vzdump --mailnotification always --all 1 --storage proxbkp --exclude 112 --node prox5 --quiet 1 --compress lzo --mode snapshot
0 0 * * 6 root vzdump --exclude 105,109,110,113,117,119,121,123,127,129,132,133,136,137,144,130,116 --mailnotification always --all 1 --storage proxbkp --mode snapshot --node prox6 --quiet 1 --compress lzo
0 0 * * 7 root vzdump --compress lzo --quiet 1 --node prox7 --mode snapshot --all 1 --storage proxbkp --mailnotification always --mailto x --exclude 107
0 0 * * 7 root vzdump --mode snapshot --quiet 1 --compress lzo --node prox8 --exclude 145,146,148,149,151,100 --all 1 --storage proxbkp --mailnotification always

But when I move one machine from one node to another node, it will not get automatically added to the target node's backup task.
If I forget to manually add the VM to the backup task of the new node, it will get omitted from backup.

I don't know how to automate this.

Hmm, it works for my simple test setup, although you have to manually edit the /etc/pve/vzdump.cron since the GUI does not allow you to exclude VMs that are located on other nodes (which you do not want to backup at all, nevertheless on which node they are located) if you limit the backup task to a specific node.
How exactly did you setup the excludes for the VMs?
Please check the log for the backup tasks for infos/errors.
What version of PVE are you running? Please post pveversion -v
If the vzdump job is set to --all 1 as in your output, this includes all VMs not marked as exclude for this node/task. Please make sure that /etc/cron.d/vzdump exists and is a symlink to /etc/pve/vzdump.cron on all of your nodes file /etc/cron.d/vzdump.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!