[SOLVED] email filter action object "Block" - no 550 to sender? pmg send 250 O.K.

redjohn

Apr 22, 2016
Hello,

I have create some blacklist entry for a test email address and use the default email filter action object "Block". If I send some email from this blocked address, message is blocked correctly but PMG send 250 O.K. to the sender. But email is blocked and dropped from PMG and I can't find it in QMS Spam or Virus now.

Is there no option to send some 550 Blocked or what else to the sending emailserver? If PMG send out 250 O.K. nobody notice that the email was blocked only the admin can have a look on tracking center, but if you reach not only one email per day it is very awkward to look every day on tracking center and search for blocked emails. I think in Germany it is very important to inform the sender or recipient.

Regards

s there no option to send some 550 Blocked or what else to the sending emailserver? If PMG send out 250 O.K. nobody notice that the email was blocked
quite many checks lead to PMG sending a 550 to the user:
* all hits on postscreen-rbls (configured via 'Configuration'->'Mail Proxy'->'Options'->'DNSBL sites')
* all negative answers for recepient verification ('Verify Receivers')
* SPF-checks done by pmgpolicy (a rather hard constraint - and I probably would not run it that way) ('Use SPF')

* However since PMG's rule system currently uses Postfix after-queue content filtering (see http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html) - everything configured in the rule-system can only be done after initially accepting the mail.
* You can probably create a rule to notify the sender of the original mail

This has been asked for quite often and we're considering looking into adding such functionality in the future. (However there is no ETA yet).

I hope this helps!

quite many checks lead to PMG sending a 550 to the user:
* all hits on postscreen-rbls (configured via 'Configuration'->'Mail Proxy'->'Options'->'DNSBL sites')
* all negative answers for recepient verification ('Verify Receivers')
* SPF-checks done by pmgpolicy (a rather hard constraint - and I probably would not run it that way) ('Use SPF')

* However since PMG's rule system currently uses Postfix after-queue content filtering (see http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html) - everything configured in the rule-system can only be done after initially accepting the mail.
* You can probably create a rule to notify the sender of the original mail

This has been asked for quite often and we're considering looking into adding such functionality in the future. (However there is no ETA yet).

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the fast reply. Okay I hope that I can block E-Mail Senders in future with 550 because Block or Blacklist said I can block the email and notify sender that email is not delivered. Because in Germany you send 250 O.K. to Sender and PMG put the E-Mail in Blackhole if Blacklist is active for some emailaddresses. But you send 250 O.K. and that means you have accept the email but you notify nobody about this, not the sender and not the recipient. I think it is better to send out some 451 Temp fail better 550 Blocked. Because now nobody have any information about this email and I think in Germany we get in trouble. Maybe you can have a look if there is any function available to send out 550 or 451.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!