[SOLVED] Creating first cluster and have wrong IP

I don't mind starting again and will probably do that. I think the answer is ignore the GUI and do it by CLI as the GUI does it incorrectly?
If it's the latter I thought you guys should know.

This is not correct? Didn't you had the correct config before?

I don't know, It seems strange to me that the nodes are using two seperate networks 172. for proxmox. 192 (which is what proxplay,cluster.rml resolves to).
You can see in post 15 I'd manually changed corosync to use the same network
Something, not me, (in post 19) seems to have changed it back to be the wrong networks. I've no idea how that happened but potentially on reboot?

Question:
Should corosync be showing the same network, and what could have changed this?
Should pve/.members be the corosync network or the normal one?

if your name resolution is off.
Was it though? Or have you a problem the GUI setup?

Either way, thanks to both of you for your help. It's massively appreciated. Have a top weekend.

I think the answer is ignore the GUI and do it by CLI as the GUI does it incorrectly?

I don't think there's a problem with the GUI (I use it sometimes while creating clusters, works as expected). I also think it might come down to some weird name resolution issue (which I guess is easier to detect on the CLI).

Should corosync be showing the same network, and what could have changed this?

Did you bump the config version in the config and restart pve-cluster after doing that?

Was it though? Or have you a problem the GUI setup?

I'll still take a look at trying to reproduce this problem first thing on Monday. Might be something going on that we're not seeing.

hi,

sorry for the late update. i took a look in the gui and set up a cluster, but didn't notice anything weird. must be your setup.

Equal apologies for the delay, life got in the way.

I'll redo at some point and update this with what I find but nothing more for you to answer. Thanks for all the help!

PS You're absolutely right about bumping the config version!

you're welcome. you can mark the thread [SOLVED] by editing the first post.

you did it wrong the first time, i corrected it. no problem :)

But couldn't seen advanced options, is that now 'more options'?

i'm not sure what exactly users see since i have different layout.

Ah sorry, I overlooked your /etc/hosts config
Code:
172.31.187.51 proxrml.rml proxrml pve
Your hostname resolves to 172.31.187.51? How can you know the IP if you get it assigned via DHCP?
This should resolve to your static IP, the 192.168.10.x I assume?
We do on some occasions rely on resolving the IP address based on the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.
So since your hostname resolves to the "wrong" IP, this is probably why you get that IP in the GUI.
awesome, thanks to pointing out hosts file, I was struggling and for sure, it was super simple issue, millions of thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!