ha-storage with two Nas

abb

Jul 11, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am stuck in a High Availability cluster setup. I have the following configuration:

- two servers
- two storage nodes (qnap nas) with iSCSI support.

I want to create an ha-setup where:
- if one of server fails the vm still runs on the second one,
- if one storage node fails, proxmox automatically uses the second one,

In other terms I want HA both on the server and on the storage level,
Is there any possible way to do this? I can mount the 2x iscsi volumes on proxmox, but then what is the next step?

thanks

Hi,

there is no HA with tow Proxmox VE nodes.
This is very dangerous and can end in losing your data.

Also the two qnaps won't be able to do HA even if you have 3PVE servers. You'd need to ensure that the data is always in sync which is (afaik) not possible with qnap.

Also the two qnaps won't be able to do HA even if you have 3PVE servers. You'd need to ensure that the data is always in sync which is (afaik) not possible with qnap.

thanks,

yes, actually I am searching for something like redundant storage, if one Nas fails proxmox automatically switches to the other éautomatically. is this possible?

thanks,

yes, actually I am searching for something like redundant storage, if one Nas fails proxmox automatically switches to the other éautomatically. is this possible?
Yes. many commercial NAS solutions (Synology, Nexenta) and free solutions (NAS4free) have HA capabilities. Freenas might also but probably in the enterprise version.

Yes. many commercial NAS solutions (Synology, Nexenta) and free solutions (NAS4free) have HA capabilities. Freenas might also but probably in the enterprise version.

thank you for the reply,

would software solutions like NAS4free be setup as a VM inside proxmox (with ha) to present the 2x Nas as one storage? or are there other possible configurations like using software raid1 to have redundancy?

For HA storage with two NAS, you can configure it at guest level.
For instance, on Linux, just provide one LUN from each NAS and configure software mirroring using mdadm for instance.
I guess something similar is available on windows too...

For HA storage with two NAS, you can configure it at guest level.
For instance, on Linux, just provide one LUN from each NAS and configure software mirroring using mdadm for instance.
I guess something similar is available on windows too...

thank you very much for the response, I guess that is the solution I was searching for,
so here is a summary of the config:

1- HA for the VM by installing glusterfs on the proxmox server nodes (vm HA using shared storage),
2- HA storage level (like Belokan suggested) by using the LUNs from each NAS at VM level, then using software mirroring.

thank you very much for the response, I guess that is the solution I was searching for,
so here is a summary of the config:

1- HA for the VM by installing glusterfs on the proxmox server nodes (vm HA using shared storage),
2- HA storage level (like Belokan suggested) by using the LUNs from each NAS at VM level, then using software mirroring.

Just one detail, the VM will have two disks, one for the OS (stored on the server nodes), and the other for (large) data (like the "/var/" folder for Linux OSs)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!