Proxmox 5.1 DRBD 9 problem

luklow

Oct 18, 2016
hi guys
I'm trying to setup 3 nodes cluster on proxmox 5.1 and synchronizate disk on DRBD9.
I had create cluster successfully, but I still have a huge problem with drbd 9 setup.
When I run command
"drbdmanage init 192.168.6.6", i got few massages
"You are going to initialize a new drbdmanage cluster.
CAUTION! Note that:
* Any previous drbdmanage cluster information may be removed
* Any remaining resources managed by a previous drbdmanage installation
that still exist on this system will no longer be managed by drbdmanage

Confirm:

yes/no: yes
"
and from this moment nothing happen. I waiting for a long time (few minutes), and i didn't receive any error.

My next step is break this command, and run following command:
drbdmanage uninit
drbdmanage restart
drbdmanage init 192.168.6.6
From this point drbdmanage wasn't create, and initialization stopped on the same place.
I was trying reboot server, and nothing change.

I have 2 interfaces. On 1 interface i have adres IP to login from ssh or web page.
2nd interface is for drbd.
My configuration on vs6
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 44:a8:42:48:93:31 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: enp8s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:1b:21:bc:8d:54 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.6.6/24 brd 192.168.6.255 scope global enp8s0f0
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 fe80::21b:21ff:febc:8d54/64 scope link

more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.0.0.104 s6 pvelocalhost
10.0.0.105 vs7
10.0.0.106 vs8

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Hi,

DRBD is not a part of Proxmox and will supported by Linbit directly. So you have to ask them.

Hi luklow,
one week ago I gave drbd9 the last chance for my home pve-cluster (sync between two nodes).

I'm not able to got this running... the best thing was, that one node say both nodes are comnnected - but the other node say, the other node isn't connected...
You will find some howtos, which show was happens if all running well - but no one, how got it running if the connection don't work.

I removed drbd - it's sad but for me it's looks not that is useable - not even at home for test.

Udo

Hi,

DRBD is not a part of Proxmox and will supported by Linbit directly. So you have to ask them.
Sorry if I repeat myself, but really proxmox team should consider to support DRBD9 AGAIN.
We that are very small can't afford Ceph (that officially requires at least 3 nodes, but not in production because is not "safe" this way), while with DRBD9 you can have 2 storage node and one very small PC as quorum provider, so a very competitive/relatively cheap solution.
Since long time Drbd have reverted it's license to the original one so there is no more reason to be against it.
I don't think that DRDB benefits from Proxmox as much as Proxmox user's would benefit from DRDB9, so this way we are just hurting ourselves.
At least until a different affordable real time duplicaton with only 2 storage node solution emerges...
Btw, at least what about resuming the DRBD9 wiki page where we can add/update our experinece and suggestions?
Thanks

Sorry if I repeat myself, but really proxmox team should consider to support DRBD9 AGAIN.
We that are very small can't afford Ceph (that officially requires at least 3 nodes, but not in production because is not "safe" this way), while with DRBD9 you can have 2 storage node and one very small PC as quorum provider, so a very competitive/relatively cheap solution.
Since long time Drbd have reverted it's license to the original one so there is no more reason to be against it.
I don't think that DRDB benefits from Proxmox as much as Proxmox user's would benefit from DRDB9, so this way we are just hurting ourselves.
At least until a different affordable real time duplicaton with only 2 storage node solution emerges...
Btw, at least what about resuming the DRBD9 wiki page where we can add/update our experinece and suggestions?
Thanks
+1
And yes, it si possible, easy and safe to use drbd 9 in PVE 5.x. It is a Win/Win combo!

I can’t believe Udo failed to run such setup?

Christophe.

Thanks

Linbit maintains and support DRBD integration for Proxmox VE. I assume the creators of DRBD are the best guys for supporting their own tools, so what is wrong in your opinion with this?

Linbit maintains and support DRBD integration for Proxmox VE. I assume the creators of DRBD are the best guys for supporting their own tools, so what is wrong in your opinion with this?
It's simple, Proxmox already uses a lot of technologies other have create (i.e. ceph), but provides the necessary plugin, adjustments and corollary software support / compatibility check/fix that makes 'the whole package' work smoothly, especially when you update a server.
Let's say you introduce something in Proxmox 5.2 (or just in the next update of 5.1) that requires some adjustment on Drbd9 plugin, or a new/different version of a library both of you use. I would update Proxmox and end with a broken system. I don't think DRBD team is goning to check Proxmox dev mailing list / git repository to test each modification.
Instead, when is Proxmox team that manages all the stuff, you do the test, you decide when integrate the next DRBD9 update, you have your own repository with patches or whatever needed to make thing work, so an update is almost safe.

The DRBD team decided to maintain the integration packages for Proxmox VE. Therefore there is no plan to revert this against their decision.

The DRBD team decided to maintain the integration packages for Proxmox VE. Therefore there is no plan to revert this against their decision.
I think that the decision was made when you, correctly, removed DRBD9 support after they changed the license of a vital component of it.
After that they reverted their decision and went back to a FOSS license again, but you did not re-included DRBD9.
Since is FOSS, they can't forbid you to create/mantain the integration packages yourself (so initialy an user can choose among yours and theirs, and eventually they will drop the duplicated effort).
In short, Proxmox team is of course much better when it comes to provide a realiable, up to date and well integrated solution for Proxmox + DRBD9 integration.
So please "make a plan" to bring DRBD9 back to Proxmox soon, there are lots of small installations that could benefit a lot from it. Thanks

I think that the decision was made when you, correctly, removed DRBD9 support after they changed the license of a vital component of it.
After that they reverted their decision and went back to a FOSS license again, but you did not re-included DRBD9.
Since is FOSS, they can't forbid you to create/mantain the integration packages yourself ...

The DRBD team decided to go this way, there is no plan to change this. If you have issues or questions, please contact the maintainers.

The license change
This vital component is drbdmanage if I remember well. Soon drbdmanage will be replaced by linstor, what do you think about it and its license?

hi guys
I'm trying to setup 3 nodes cluster on proxmox 5.1 and synchronizate disk on DRBD9.
I had create cluster successfully, but I still have a huge problem with drbd 9 setup.
When I run command
"drbdmanage init 192.168.6.6", i got few massages
"You are going to initialize a new drbdmanage cluster.
CAUTION! Note that:
* Any previous drbdmanage cluster information may be removed
* Any remaining resources managed by a previous drbdmanage installation
that still exist on this system will no longer be managed by drbdmanage

Confirm:

yes/no: yes
"
and from this moment nothing happen. I waiting for a long time (few minutes), and i didn't receive any error.

My next step is break this command, and run following command:
drbdmanage uninit
drbdmanage restart
drbdmanage init 192.168.6.6
From this point drbdmanage wasn't create, and initialization stopped on the same place.
I was trying reboot server, and nothing change.

I have 2 interfaces. On 1 interface i have adres IP to login from ssh or web page.
2nd interface is for drbd.
My configuration on vs6
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 44:a8:42:48:93:31 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: enp8s0f0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 00:1b:21:bc:8d:54 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.6.6/24 brd 192.168.6.255 scope global enp8s0f0
inet6 fe80::21b:21ff:febc:8d54/64 scope link

more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
10.0.0.104 s6 pvelocalhost
10.0.0.105 vs7
10.0.0.106 vs8

Can anybody help me with this problem?

HI,

I used to have the same issue until I changed some settings in lvm.conf.
Add the two settings to lvm.conf from this link and everything will work smoothly, at least it did for me.
https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#s-config-lvm

HI,

I used to have the same issue until I changed some settings in lvm.conf.
Add the two settings to lvm.conf from this link and everything will work smoothly, at least it did for me.
https://docs.linbit.com/docs/users-guide-9.0/#s-config-lvm
And be sure, that you have loaded the brbd9 kernel module and not the drbd8 one.

drbdmanage need the new kernelmodule but don't give an warning, if the wrong is loaded... Fail!! there must be an developer not realy awake.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!