[SOLVED] 4.4 and 5.X version in the same cluster?

dg_

Sep 28, 2016
Hello,

I have a cluster with 4.4 but i would like test 5.0 only in 1 node using the same cluster and move some vms with live migration. After some time upgrade other nodes of the cluster.

Should be possible?

Thanks.

I wouldn't. PVE 5 uses newer versions of many packages, like ceph for example. So even if PVE works with different versions in the same cluster you may end up braking things the cluster uses.
If you only want to test PVE 5 (as in not use in production) I suggest making a VM running it. If you enable nesting you can even run VMs inside that VM.

In my case i don't use ceph, just kvm. In this case, can i break the cluster if mix major pve versions?

In some guides from proxmox.com say something about change default display to standard in case you do live migration from 4.4 to 5.0, so i understand that it's possible, no?

Thanks.

Of course it's possible. We don't usually expect people to take their whole cluster offline to upgrade. But I don't think it's been tested for extended periods of time. So while I don't expect the cluster to explode when you update one node I'm not sure what will happen if you keep it that way for several weeks.

It's not for weeks, just 2-3 days. If possible add NEW server with 5.0, add to 4.4 cluster and move vms?

Thanks for your help.

As I said, it should work but I doubt it's been tested extensively. The corosync version is the same, so the nodes can communicate just fine. The backup format didn't change and migration should work, too, but only from 4 to 5.

migrating guests from old to new is tested and supported, but migrating back might not work depending on the exact versions etc. so running a mixed-version cluster temporarily for upgrade purposes is okay, as long as you follow the upgrade instructions (upgrade from latest 4.x, pay special attention if you are running ceph, etc. pp).

Reactions: mjw
migrating guests from old to new is tested and supported, but migrating back might not work depending on the exact versions etc. so running a mixed-version cluster temporarily for upgrade purposes is okay, as long as you follow the upgrade instructions (upgrade from latest 4.x, pay special attention if you are running ceph, etc. pp).

Hi,

On one of our customers, we have a two-node cluster with VMs on local storage. Can we upgrade one node and then the other without moving VMs? Since we do not have shared storage, it's difficult and time-consuming to move VMS between them.

Thank you

Hi,

On one of our customers, we have a two-node cluster with VMs on local storage. Can we upgrade one node and then the other without moving VMs? Since we do not have shared storage, it's difficult and time-consuming to move VMS between them.

Thank you
Hi,
of course yes - but during update all VMs on this node must be switchd off - so you have an downtime of app. 30 min.

And - if anything go wrong you are in trouble!!

Udo

Reactions: carles89
Hello,

I do have an old 4.4 2-nodes cluster, with shared storage. I'd like to upgrade it (better late than never).

Is it possible for me to migrate all the VM off one of the nodes, upgrade it (and still have it in the cluster),
and then move back all VMs to the new upgraded node, and finally, to upgrade the first one too ?

Thanks in advance !

Best,

Hello,

I do have an old 4.4 2-nodes cluster, with shared storage. I'd like to upgrade it (better late than never).

Is it possible for me to migrate all the VM off one of the nodes, upgrade it (and still have it in the cluster),
and then move back all VMs to the new upgraded node, and finally, to upgrade the first one too ?

Thanks in advance !

Best,

yes. follow the upgrade procedure, start with fully-updated 4.4 nodes.

since you have a two node cluster I assume you are not using HA - otherwise you need to take special care.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!