New Forum Software

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We finalized the move to a new forum software (we moved from vbulletin to xenforo). This includes a modern, fully responsive theme and quite a lot of new features. We managed to import all content and most settings from the old forum, this includes all old forum links.

Upload your subscription key to your profile
You can add one of your Proxmox VE Subscription Keys to get better recognized as an active contributing community member.

add-subscription-key-profile.png

As soon as you added one of your subscription keys you will get (after 15 minutes):
  • recognized as a "Proxmox VE Subscriber"
  • you can upload your custom avatar
  • you can use a signature
As the new theme is fully responsive and works great on mobile devices, we decided to remove the Tapatalk plugin.

Hope you enjoy the new forum, happy posting!

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader

Reactions: chrone
Good news for phone and tablet users, however the density of information went down horribly on desktops, on which I believe many of your users work all day long. Any possibility of giving a more compact theme as an option? Also the Proxmox logo in the header is kinda huge, maybe you could get by with a smaller one (same height as the search box)?

Reactions: e100 and sumsum
Any chance of having forwarding rules for all those links in the wiki that pointed to the old forum discussions?

All links should work, if not please let us know.

Tapatalk support is important to me. Can you please talk more on the removal of it? I don't interact with forums on my mobile unless they have Tapatalk support for numerous reasons.

Reactions: sumsum
Any possibility of giving a more compact theme as an option?
I think on Desktop we now use 3x more Space to display the same information (on Forum Thread-overview). Kinda annoying, but not the life-threatening :p

What is rather annoying to me is:
  • Low contrast (ie. light grey on white background - makes you need to look multiple times)
  • no Quote/Code buttons on the "Editor" - makes you type all bb-codes by hand to make a longer post structured
  • Same color on Forum-Thread overview for New and already read colors. Makes it hard to see at a glance what thread you already looked at. (goes hand in hand with using 3x more space). Maybe use Proxmox-Orange for new Treads and use Proxmox-Black for already read Threads (wthout new posts) ?

Other then that its a great improvement.

edit: where are avatar+ signature hiding ?

Last edited:
Tapatalk support is important to me. Can you please talk more on the removal of it? I don't interact with forums on my mobile unless they have Tapatalk support for numerous reasons.

We need to respect and protect the privacy of our community, therefore our admin rejected to install Tapatalk again.

If you want to learn more about Tapatalk, just search the web for more.

As far as I understand, it's not Free software (vbullettin was not either), so really there was no Free software for forums that could fit our needs? I don't trust proprietary software at all, I prefer less features but Free code! Maybe next time? :) Best regards

We need to respect and protect the privacy of our community, therefore our admin rejected to install Tapatalk again.

If you want to learn more about Tapatalk, just search the web for more.
I don't know why I would need to 'learn more about Tapatalk'. I have been using it for over 3 years, as well as implementing it into several forums. I am very well aware of what it does.

The fact that you have taken this stance saddens me. You will punish those that use it for the sake of people that won't use it for whatever reason. Seems weird to do that. If people don't like it, they don't have to use it.

I don't know why I would need to 'learn more about Tapatalk'

Please read the license and the terms of the tapatalk plugin, then you should see why this is against the privacy needs of our community. If you do a search in the web, you will see hundred of arguments for our decision. I cannot explain tapatalk in detail in a Proxmox support forum, we talk about Proxmox here.

As tapatalk needs to be installed on the server, its not a decision of a user, its a global decision - in our case a decision against tapatalk.

I know about Tapatalk...as I said, I have deployed it to several forums over the years.

Odd that it was totally cool with you guys up until this new forum software. Whatever though. I won't get to read the forums much any more now.

Reactions: RCK
[...]
Odd that it was totally cool with you guys up until this new forum software. [...]

// 2-cents mode on
i think its more due to the fact that tapatalk has been slowly screwing around with their reputation (free+premium tier - there is a lot about that you can find online), and since "these guys" were redoing their forum software they evaluated every part of the software and finally pulled the plug on tapatalk.

You also gotta remember that proxmox is done by a austrian company, in that part of the world privacy has become a real hot button issue for IT.

I know tapatalk came up at two projects of mine i consult for, one decided for pulling it, the other decided to go BYO route.

personally i do not foresee too much of an issue for proxmox, as this is a very specific forum (as in monopoly) aiming mostly at the "no-subscription" and "community-subscription" userbase and those that wanna give back. Those users will still come here regardless of tapatalk support. Would be different if there were multiple communities covering proxmox or it was dedicated to a "non specific" topic, but that is not the case
// 2-cents mode off

Is there a smart way to do multi quote when replying?

just mark the text you want to quote and click reply. you can do this again and again, so you can pick the needed parts from several posters with just a few clicks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!