ZFS replication without FS freeze

tubatodd

Feb 3, 2020
I have 2 Proxmox 6.0 nodes with replication setup between the nodes for a single VM. The replication works, but the freeze and thaw of the guest filesystem causes problems with the application running in the VM. It can't handle the brief pause. Is there a way to do the replication withOUT the freeze and thaw steps?

Thanks
Todd

Hi,

you can turn off the guest agent.

@wolfgang thank you for your reply. I stumbled on the freeze and thaw settings in the
Code:
/etc/sysconfig/qemu-ga
I've set the
Code:
FSFREEZE_HOOK_PATHNAME=/dev/null
and blacklisted the freeze and thaw commands. I'm testing how that impacts our app. So far so good.

I'm still need to stress test the system during replication to make sure it can handle what we expect, but the basic configuration I'm using is this

Code:
BLACKLIST_RPC=guest-file-open,guest-file-close,guest-file-read,guest-file-write,guest-file-seek,guest-file-flush,guest-exec,guest-exec-status,guest-fsfreeze-freeze,guest-fsfreeze-thaw
FSFREEZE_HOOK_PATHNAME=/dev/null

@wolfgang these settings seem to have helped greatly, but I could use some additional help. I have the ZFS replication set to every minute. While stress testing the systems, we had a replication failure and timeout that lead to a fault in our system. Is this likely because every minute is too frequent under high load or could it be something else?

The problem is that zfs commands has a low priority.
So if the pool is under load the sync will fail.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!