ZFS Replication over WAN

mwilliam

May 6, 2021
I want to have a cluster running between 2 node, one at my office and one at my home to keep my data synced. The cluster is quorate, but they do not allow me to access the tabs of the opposite node on the web GUI. However, replication of my VMs and CTs fails everytime.

Currently, when I try to replicate, the job fails because it tries to connect to the other node's private IP, rather than the public one I have in the hosts file and in the corosync.conf files (both in PVE and Corosync folders).

If anyone has successfully managed this, and can provide specific steps, that would be greatly appreciated!

How low is the latency between those 2 nodes? Usually running a PVE cluster over the internet is not the best idea.
For a 2 node cluster you usually want a third vote in case one node is down. This can be achieved with the QDevice mechanism.

Instead of running a cluster between the 2 nodes, have you considered leaving them as separate nodes and using a ZFS sync tool to keep current copies on the other node? There is PVE-Zsync for that. You will have to manually copy the VM config file located in /etc/pve/qemu-server/ to the other node.

Depending on what you want to accomplish, this could be another way where you are not fighting the assumption that a PVE Cluster is running within the same network.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!