ZFS pools on NVME

Vasilij Lebedinskij

Jan 30, 2016
Hello! I've read a lot of threads about people trying to get full speed from their nvme drives. So i'm wondering how does nvme tuning looks on zfs? I have several PVE appliances with nvme mirrors and now i suspect that they don't reach full speeds.

not good.
Zfs does not cache writes.
just use bcache . or flashcache (almost deprecated but still fast).

another problem is that the NWME is a special interface on the shortened path.
Not the worst idea is the container where the nvme is thrown inside container.

Even NVME parition throughout virtio drive still reduces write ios 2-3 times (in my tests)

Depends also heavily on the kind of NVME drive you're using. Enterprise grade Flash is much better than Prosumer hardware like the Samsung 960 pro and such.

In my case I use Samsung EVO 970. I'm wondering what block size should I choose when I create zfs pools and there is plenty pool options with also impact performance. And what about IO threading? How is it managed in Proxmox? How may I know if all my SSD's available threads are used?

In my case I use Samsung EVO 970. I'm wondering what block size should I choose when I create zfs pools and there is plenty pool options with also impact performance.

The Pro is already not very good, I have no numbers of the EVO. Best to check for raw performance here:

http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/20...-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/

These type of "cheap" SSDs cannot be tuned (sanely) in ZFS for best performance, because their write speed is not good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!