ZFS over iSCSI

Mikele

Mar 10, 2017
Hello guys,
Proxmox is new to me and I wanted to ask some questions to someone more experienced,
I have a node and a SAN storage array if imposed zfs over iscsi performances are good? if in the future I wanted to add storage with Ceph I can do that by adding nodes? adding it to the existing storage. I would need a scalable solution but for now the budget is limited, it can be a solution of this type?
Thanks so much
Michele

Sorry, I don't get it right: Do you have the SAN already or not? If so, you can often not use ZFS-over-iSCSI, because this needs ZFS support on the storage side.

If you don't have a SAN already, there is IMHO only one currently commercially available in HA form from TrueNAS or if its a DIY SAN, then from https://github.com/ewwhite/zfs-ha/wiki and you want HA, won't you?

ZFS-over-iSCSI is great for QEMU machines, but not so ideal for LXC, because you have another filesystem on top of ZFS, where you actually don't need one. It would be great if ZFS-over-NFS would be implemented in a similar way for LXC, but we'll have to wait.

then from https://github.com/ewwhite/zfs-ha/wiki and you want HA, won't you?
Interesting but the storage itself is still SPOF (Single Point Of Failure). This setup could have been done equally well, and IMHO with much better performance, using multipath iSCSI since the describe setup is just multipath to NFS. If you want real HA you should have a HA enabled storage as well. Gea has made an extension to Napp-it to form a HA storage as well (synchronization between the two storage servers uses zfs send/receive).

Interesting but the storage itself is still SPOF (Single Point Of Failure). This setup could have been done equally well, and IMHO with much better performance, using multipath iSCSI since the describe setup is just multipath to NFS. If you want real HA you should have a HA enabled storage as well. Gea has made an extension to Napp-it to form a HA storage as well (synchronization between the two storage servers uses zfs send/receive).

Yeah, I'm still looking for a nice ZFS HA solution. At the moment I still have to rely on "stupid" block storage SAN solutions with multiple $everything, yet no ZFS :-(

thank you all for the answers,
I'll explain what I should / would like to do, I have not purchased anything for now.
I would like to install on one server plesk and whcms plus module garden "proxmox-cloud" this plugin.
Now, I do not know if the budget i have is most appropriate solution for 1 plesk server with WHMCS and plugin + one server Proxmox and san to store all the data
or
more nodes to Proxmox, no saint and virtualize everything.
if virtualizzo plesk I would need to ram 256giga minimum.
before doing reckless things I would like to understand better because for me Proxmox is new.
thank you
Michele

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!