ZFS over iSCSI with PowerStore

amir1986

Nov 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

This is my first post under Proxmox forum.
I am very new with Proxmox and KVM in general, so I am going to ask all my questions and hopefully they are not too dumb!

1- Has anyone managed to get ZFS over iSCSI done to EMC storage lineup? (this case is PowerStore)
2- Experience with multipathing
3- Optimum networking for iSCSI (I am familiar with how to make dynamic pool of NICs and make things working for all networks on VMKernel, but is it possible with PVE?)
4- Does PVE have ability to offload storage related tasks to EMC? things like VAAI and VASA in VMware (I doubt it but I am asking anyway)

Thanks for your help in advance

Hi, welcome to the community.

1 - This is impossible. ZFS over iSCSI is an implementation for very specific technologies. Namely :
a) some server/appliance that runs Linux or FreeBSD
b) It also has ZFS daemon installed with all the management tools
c) It allows SSH'ing into the appliance
d) It runs one of a few supported iSCSI daemons that are specific to Linux/FreeBSD

Your PowerStore does not check any of the above requirements. Nor do you want it necessarily.

2 - Proxmox is an application suite that runs on top of Debian. EMC/Dell support Linux (and Debian specifically) for multipath configuration. Find EMC documentation where they describe best practices for multipath implementation for Linux/Debian.

3 - Multipath hides all the complexity of the network from the Hypervisor in Proxmox case. Use best practices from EMC for the configuration. Proxmox will simply use /dev/mpathX devices for storage access

4 - Proxmox uses KVM as a Hypervisor. The question you should research : does KVM or Debian/Linux client have support for VAAI. I believe the answer is no at first glance.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: amir1986

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!