ZFS Datastore Stats

Gianks

Mar 17, 2020
Hi,
ZFS datastore performance stats are missing on a brand new perfectly working installation of Backup Server... is this not yet ready to deal with ZFS or is it a bug?

Thanks!

what are your versions? (proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose)

there were some changes with zfs and we changed the stats gathering only with proxmox-backup-server 2.1.3-1

proxmox-backup 2.1-1 running kernel: 5.13.19-1-pve
proxmox-backup-server 2.1.1-1 running version: 2.1.1
pve-kernel-5.13 7.1-4
pve-kernel-helper 7.1-4
pve-kernel-5.13.19-1-pve 5.13.19-2
ifupdown2 3.1.0-1+pmx3
libjs-extjs 7.0.0-1
proxmox-backup-docs 2.1.1-2
proxmox-backup-client 2.1.1-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader 1.2-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit 3.4-3
pve-xtermjs 4.12.0-1
smartmontools 7.2-1
zfsutils-linux 2.1.1-pve3

yes, please update to a version where proxmox-backup-server >= 2.1.3-1 and check if that fixes the issue

Yes, with Backup Server 2.1-6 now the graphs are showing some data.
Anyway... the IO Delay is gone. I get that a multidevice single IO graph could be misleading (why not give the data for each involved disk then?) but when using ZFS in single disk configuration it would still be meaningful!
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your work!

sadly zfs does not expose io delay anymore, and as you say a single io delay graph for a multidisk setup would probably be misleading
we could show some data for each disk probably, but that would not be trivial i guess (finding out which disks are involved, etc..)

Well, I see the problem.
By the way i would say that a general local disks graphs (ZFS, Ceph, LVM, not used, whatever) pane/tab would really be a good tool to have sometimes. For ceph there is the OSD page with the latencies, which is already something but with no RRD is hard to spot what's going on if not jumping on/reloading the page on the right time, and still, not a real alternative!

This way there would be no need to go into the ZFS configuration details, it would simply be unrelated to it, let the user figure out which disk does what (which by the way is already pretty clear in the local disk pane in the last versions, used to be more vague ;)

In the same manner, a pane/tab to see each network card/vlan traffic graphs would be really neat.

I am proposing enhancements here that, IMMO, would be not too complex to implement based on the current PVE/PBS GUI capabilities.These additions should be almost a copy and paste of code already written for the dashboard!

Thanks for your attention and answers!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!