Yet Another RAID Controller question

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
I just got off the phone with Adaptec to find out which controller might be best for us to use with proxmox.
I was told the 6805 would be great, but only if the kernel was 2.6.39 or over, which I know we are not running. We are still on 1.6 and going to upgrade to 1.9, but I see the 1.9 is still running the 2.6.32.
Is this information correct? If that was the case I was told to go with the adaptec 5805. Does this sound right?

Also, another thought I had was, instead of running a raid 10 and all the cost involved, why not run a Solid State Drive and save the money? The speed would be pretty good I would image. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Daniel

in our lab we have adaptec 3805, 5805, 5805Z and 6805. all works.

go for a model with 'zero-maintenance' cache protection.

Tom, can you tell me which one you feel gives you the best performance out of all of them? Also, how do you feel about using Solid State Drives?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!