Wrong choice of Card on the configuration

Johnny au paré

Jun 1, 2022
We installed ProxMox with the network card present on our server a dual port sfp card but need ehternet ports to continue. We therefore installed a network card with 4 ethernet ports after installing proxmox ve 7.2

The card is not automatically getting an ip and I dont remember if i should go into HP's iLo interface to assign or make sure things are ok, should I modify the proxmox install in some way or should I just reinstall and assign the proper card/interface during install?

In other words, since i changed the hardware config ( new network card - verified compatible and working with this hardware), do I have to install proxmox ve again or is there a way to fix this and not have to reinstall proxmox?

If you need clarifications do not hesitate as I am not a virtualization expert but I know my way around hardware and can learn if necessary, just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any help appreciated.

Wow thanks for this fast reply and links, very much appreciated.

I cannot access the proxmox console at this time because the server (physical, in our possession) is not assigned an ip (the requested one during install). there is nothing wrong network equipment side, when the card will request any ip it will be given and the specified one by pxve during install is free in my network.

So if i understand this correctly, I will have to browse the disk manually for etc/network/interfaces and assign the new network card I physically added (per instructions in pxve manual) after the initial install (which should appear in there since its physically installed on the system?) and it should send the arp request etc to get an ip after that automatically?

Best Regards,

Johnny Au Paré

sorry i got it! the physical console not the web console! ok will use this and come back with results, I need to get kbm and screen back to the server. should post in the next 24 hours.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!