Would it be best to use two identical server hardware machines for live migration?

jva1601

Oct 19, 2010
I heard from a tech who is supposedly an expert on VMware deployment's. He said it is best to use two identical server hardware machine's for vmotion. Is this also the recommended approach for proxmox? Thank you.

Re: Would it be best to use two identical server hardware machines for live migration

I heard from a tech who is supposedly an expert on VMware deployment's. He said it is best to use two identical server hardware machine's for vmotion. Is this also the recommended approach for proxmox? Thank you.
Hi,
it's recommended that the CPUs are the same (normaly works on different types too...) and you need the same bridges configured. But the networksetup don't need to be equal (like server1: all bridges with vlantagging on one 10gb-nic, server2: main-bridges with seperate 1gb-nics, all other with vlan-tagging on one 1gb-nic).

Often it's easier to use two identical server... but it's not nessessary.

Udo

Re: Would it be best to use two identical server hardware machines for live migration

For stable KVM live-migration it´s recommended to use identical CPU´s, for OpenVZ it´s not needed.

I'm doing live migration between amd opteron (61xx) and intel xeon (56xx,55xx,54xx,51xx) without problem.

Cpu specific features are masked by default, so if you don't use "-cpu host" option, normally it works fine.

+1, i've migrated from intel to amd (live and not live kvm vm) without any issue.

Thank you everyone for your answers! I am trying to come up with questions most likely will be ask of us when we present Proxmox as another Virtualization solution for our conference in Wash DC, this coming December. This is probably one of them.

A precision: when migrating to a new "hardware", the windows vm detect a change and ask for a reboot (what change ? Don't know).

You brought up a good point. I would think if you were doing a live migration for a Windows 2008 server it might detect a change in hardware if the host you're migrating to does not have the exact server specs of the host your migrating from. It might also trigger license reactivation.

there is no hardware change if you just do live migration, only if you got a custom flag using the cpu from the host (args: -cpu host) and the other node really got a different physical cpu.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!