[SOLVED] With passthrough of virtual disk to proxmox VM(unraid), what is my strategy for replacing broken drives and testing performance?

max7

Jul 6, 2023
TLDR: I am just starting out!

So I followed this https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)#Update_Configuration
and attached to a Unraid VM and am able to get an array started within Unraid itself and have tested connectivity through samba share.

1. Within Unraid I don't have any parity drives. So what is my strategy when a drive fails? How would I go about replacing it, in this flow? Trying to understand my blast radius here.
2. What about if i am using an HBA? What would replacement look like?
3. How do I test the performance of the existing setup? The use case is Plex media and gaming/other storage.

In few weeks I have an HBA coming, so i'll test with that as well.

1. Within Unraid I don't have any parity drives. So what is my strategy when a drive fails? How would I go about replacing it, in this flow? Trying to understand my blast radius here.
Once the disk fails your VM won't be able to start any longer. you then need to remove the passthorugh of the failed disk first. And passthrough a healthy new disk.
Within Unraid I don't have any parity drives. So what is my strategy when a drive fails?
Then thats not a very useful storage...I hope you have recent backups of everything that is important to you.

Last edited:
Once the disk fails your VM won't be able to start any longer. you then need to remove the passthorugh of the failed disk first. And passthrough a healthy new disk.

Then thats not a very useful storage...I hope you have recent backups of everything that is important to you.
At this point in my setup i am at early stages so there isn't anything important on the drives, I can wipe any number of times. I just wanted to understand the implications, once I do start getting data on them. But noted on parity drive. I'll look to fill that spot.

On the VM not starting any longer, will that be the case if I have the drives going through HBA?

On the VM not starting any longer, will that be the case if I have the drives going through HBA?
If you still use single disk passthrough, instead of PCI passthrough of the whole HBA, then yes.
When passing through the whole HBA then PVE isn't managing these disks any longer and the VM OS got full directy acces to the physical disks, like tht guest OS would run bare metal.

Last edited:
If you still use single disk passthrough, instead of PCI passthrough of the whole HBA, then yes.
When passing through the whole HBA then PVE isn't managing these disks any longer and the VM OS got full directy acces to the physical disks, like tht guest OS would run bare metal.
Thanks for the clarification! Making lot more sense now. ill mark this as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!