WinServer 2022 poor performance on Proxmox 8.1.3

only bench tab is revelant.
seems cpu-z score is correct.

try trial passmark benchmark, there is more comparative numbers.

edit : check disks performance like Crystal Disk Mark benchmark, with and without Windows write cache, besides if Windows is AD controller, within guest write cache is disabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mucip
Looking at this site which appears to have the CPU Z benchmark list, your Intel Xeon Silver 4314 (32T) bare-metal gets ST: 405 & MT: 7549. So your results which are for 16 virtual threads are pretty good.

I believe your disk's benchmark could do with an improvement.
How about enabling IO thread for the disk & changing SCSI Controller to VirtIO SCSI Single

I assume you have backups.

Hi,

With the new configurations you have applied you should already have some performance improvements.
Have you seen any changes in performance ?
Also could you tell me what brand of SSD / Model you are using ?
PS : On the other hand, why not activate the Balloon for the RAM because of the 200 GB ?

Best Regards

Hi,

With the new configurations you have applied you should already have some performance improvements.
Have you seen any changes in performance ?
Also could you tell me what brand of SSD / Model you are using ?
PS : On the other hand, why not activate the Balloon for the RAM because of the 200 GB ?

Best Regards
Hi,
Yes I see improvement but not a lot unfortunatelly. It may be because of SAP B1 and MSSQL, I don't know.

About baloon, I don't know. I thing I saw this advice from this forums. Should I active it again?...

Regards,
Mucip:)

Hi,

For Balloon that depend of your usage.
The Balloon is a very good option but if you activate it on machines where you are sure to have more than 80% of RAM used then it will fetch the RAM available on the host which can impact the other VMs.
You know what is your SSD Model ?
I would like to make sure you don't have poor quality SSD.

Best Regards

Hi,

For Balloon that depend of your usage.
The Balloon is a very good option but if you activate it on machines where you are sure to have more than 80% of RAM used then it will fetch the RAM available on the host which can impact the other VMs.
You know what is your SSD Model ?
I would like to make sure you don't have poor quality SSD.

Best Regards
Hi,
I don't think that SAP B1and MSSQL use %80 of 512GB total RAM of Proxmox. Then I should use it, shouldn't I?

According to offer we get:

ThinkSystem 2.5" PM1653 1.92TB Read Intensive SAS 24Gb HS SSD x 4 pcs

Regards,

This thread, your request is about improving the VM running. Balooning is about sharing RAM back to the host. Don't bother with it.
Hi,
I confused. Is Balooning option not affected about speed?

Regards,

Maybe try going to server BIOS and set High performance profile?
Or are your problems related to slow storage? How does your proxmox storage look like? What is "diskSSD"? where is this vm located?

Last edited:
Maybe try going to server BIOS and set High performance profile?
Or are your problems related to slow storage? How does your proxmox storage look like? What is "diskSSD"? where is this vm located?
Hi,
Proxmox run on M2 drive. And there are 4 server SSD. Both M2 and SSD drives on server itself.

Regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!