WinServer 2022 poor performance on Proxmox 8.1.3

Mucip

Renowned Member
Apr 4, 2016
Hi,
I use Proxmox 8.1.3 and installed Debain 12 and WinServer2022 as guest.
There is no problem on Debain but Windows Server is very slow. We use SAP B1 in it and using SAP B1 is terribly slow.
I check loads both on windows and Proxmox. Windows Guest summary is not stable. CPU usage is changing 4, 14 ,24, 45 like in very big differences?!
One of my friend told me that using Windows Server on proxmox as guest is not very successful. Is this true?

Regards,
Mucip:)

Last edited:
Performance of every guest OS - especially Windows - always depends on multiple factors.

- assigned vCPUs and type (cpu type "host" is usually optimal)
- underlying vHDD storage type (ZFS, LVM, ssd/nvme, etc.)
- assigned virtual hardware (for Windows always use VirtIO SCSI, q35, etc.)
- amount of RAM
- no "over booking" of CPU cores and RAM in total

Following the „best practices“ from the Wiki for Windows 10 usually applies also to Windows Server 2019/2022/2025.

Hi,
I folowed the best practice guide infact. In the beginning I used baloon driver for RAM but I saw one suggestion to disable it. And when I cancelled baloon RAM is always red?!

1721117256464.png

1721117383517.png

Regards,

BTW I see you've given it 200gb of RAM. How much is left for host server & other services?

Hi,
I folowed the best practice guide infact. In the beginning I used baloon driver for RAM but I saw one suggestion to disable it. And when I cancelled baloon RAM is always red?!

View attachment 71387

View attachment 71388

Regards,
Typical for Windows guests. RAM usage is usually displayed as 98/99% as Windows grabs every available RAM for caching, etc.

Please post some more details about your PVE hardware itself including storage setup and total VM assignments.

Hi,
I disabled NUMA but people said me that nothing changed unfortunatelly.:(

Any suggestion please?

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi,

You can set :
Code:
VirtIO SCSI single
SSD Emulation
IO thread
NUMA

Disable
Code:
Discard

Try
Code:
No Cache

Best Regards
PS : You can try to upgrade your PVE to 8.2.4
After that upgrade pc-q35-8.1 to pc-q35-9

Last edited:
Hi,
I will try but I wonder if I change this adjustment is it harm to my guest system?

This is production server. I can not get risk.

By the way, I did not upgrade PVE until now. I did not upgrade pc-q35-8.1 to pc-q35-9 either.
Is it risky for guest systems?

Regards,

No, it is not risky but you can wait for updates if you are in production.
The parameters sent are what I already use in production on W11 and WS22.

PS : This will require restarting your server to apply the changes.
Also you can take a snapshot before which I advise you this will allow you to restore your settings if necessary.
After enable option you can enable fstrim directly on your VM.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks. I will try your settings and inform you.
By the way what about Ballooning Device settings in memory page?

By the way I didn't understand "After enable option you can enable fstrim directly on your VM." comment.

I set your configuration now and waiting for restart VM after work day finish.

Regards,

Last edited:
Reactions: liberodark
That is a little W11 VM with Balloning Option but don't have big ram usage on it.
WS22 can reserve ram if is needed.
Also you can check that : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Dynamic_Memory_Management
I'm talking about TRIM rather than activating discard think about using TRIM on your OS.
Especially if you have SSDs behind it.

Small note for you : Write back has better performance but it is less reliable.
In the event of a power outage, you risk loss of data.
What I advise you to do is to switch to no cache in the case where security takes precedence over performance, knowing that it is in a good balance between performance and security.

Attachments

• screenshot-2024-07-16-14-34-18.png
    screenshot-2024-07-16-14-34-18.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi,
Yes. We use SSD's too. I think I have to use trim time by time?
How should use trim? Any documents please?

I see in your VM you have selected 2 sockets @ 8 cores. Just choose 1 socket @ 16 cores, it may make a difference depending on your HW.
Hi,
I changed. Wait for restart WM after day end.

I will inform you all about result.

Regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!