Windows VM stuck at 800x600

Windows7ge

Sep 12, 2019
I recently created a new Windows VM (version 1804) and no matter what I do it won't let me resize the display window to anything higher than 800x600. I tried changing the Display to Standard VGA (no change), VMWare compatible (does not work at all), SPICE (only works partially - not enough). I can't get it to change.

The strange thing is this is the first VM to behave like this. I've made VMs before this that do not have this problem so I'm very confused as to why it's misbehaving now.

A few details about the VM settings:
BIOS: OVMF (UEFI)
Disk: EFI virtio
NIC1: virtio 1gbit
NIC2: virtio 10gbit
CPU: 8 cores
RAM: 16GBs
Windows 10 pro x64 build 1804
OS Type: Microsoft Windows 10/2016

in our documentation (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu/KVM_Virtual_Machines) it is described that for ovmf, you can select the resolution in the ovmf menu (press esc during boot), which will be then used in the guest
I had a feeling it had something to do with that. Didn't know setting UEFI directly impacted the screen resolution.
Set it to 1600x900. Windows didn't like it at all but after a couple restarts and retries it's working correctly now. Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!