Windows high RAM usage

Talha

Jan 13, 2020
When I run VM that I have allocated 12GB of RAM with Windows, 12GB of RAM is consumed on the main dedicated server. (Even if 1GB is used in Windows.) but when I run the same server as Linux, it affects how much RAM is consumed in Linux. VirtIO drivers are installed in Windows and they work without any problems. Why is there such a problem for Windows? How can I solve it?

you have to read about the way proxmox do used mem. Assign x qty of ram don't mean it consume all of it in the vm. For the rest, not enought detail given. Passthrough is a requirement.

For a more accurate reading, the balloon driver needs to be installed (ballooning does not need to be enabled but the virtual device must be present and the driver installed), but on some operating systems the balloon driver does not report the memory usage (like FreeBSD).
When using PCI(e) passthrough, all VM memory must be pinned into actual host memory, because of the possibility of DMA at any time initiated by the PCI(e) device(s).

(There are many post on this forum about why the memory usage inside a VM is always different from the usage reported by Proxmox, if you can find them.)

(There are many post on this forum about why the memory usage inside a VM is always different from the usage reported by Proxmox, if you can find them.)
We need at least one wiki article about it. Every month, an old questions is reasked and I don't have a list of my previous answers, I should create one.

One Google search away, I found this, which also links to the article about dynamic memory management.

Reactions: leesteken
When I run VM that I have allocated 12GB of RAM with Windows, 12GB of RAM is consumed on the main dedicated server. (Even if 1GB is used in Windows.) but when I run the same server as Linux, it affects how much RAM is consumed in Linux. VirtIO drivers are installed in Windows and they work without any problems. Why is there such a problem for Windows? How can I solve it?
The problem might be caused by the pdpe1gb option of VM. Try to disable it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!