Windows 11 VM (Best Performance)

lps90

May 21, 2020
Hi
Currently i am creating a new VM with windows 11.
Anyone knows what is the BEST way possible to setup windows 11 in terms of performance (to host game servers) ?
I'll host really high cpu dependent game servers.

System: Proxmox v8.0.4 (latest version)

Thanks.

Should be similar to Win2022 best practices: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2022_guest_best_practices

You could use virtio NIC + virtio SCSI. In case you don't plan to migrate those VMs you could set the CPU type to "host". Don't overprovision your RAM or CPU cores. Enable NUMA in case you got a multi-socket server. If you got a little big CPU architecture it might help to pin a VM to the performance cores. And in case you trust all your guests you could disable mitigations in the bootloader.

Reactions: lps90
"Enable NUMA in case you got a multi-socket server. If you got a little big CPU architecture it might help to pin a VM to the performance cores. And in case you trust all your guests you could disable mitigations in the bootloader."

I have an I9 9900k and this VM will only be accessed by me.
Should i enable NUMA?
How to disable mitigations in bootloader?

thanks for your help.

NUMA is for systems with more than 1 CPU (typical server boards). You have a single socket system.

To disable mitigations you have to edit

/etc/kernel/cmdline

and add

mitigations=off

at the end of the line. After saving run

proxmox-boot-tool refresh

and reboot.

Reactions: lps90 and Dunuin
"/etc/kernel/cmdline"
I should do this in proxmox kernel or in VM? (for example in case of a linux VM).

thanks for the info btw.

You have to edit the file directly on your Proxmox VE.

nano /etc/kernel/cmdline

This disables mitigations for ALL VMs running on your host.

It seems you're not booting into EFI and use grub.
nano /etc/default/grub is your file to edit.
Add it to the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="... mitigations=off"
After that do update-grub and restart.
With lscpu you can check the vulnerables.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!