Win10 guest ("Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration) when using vlan.

Sm0rezDev

Aug 1, 2019
Network device with vlan tag to a win10 guest doesn't work and couldn't get the guest out to the internet.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 40
Do you have a DHCP server running in that VLAN? If not you will have to set the IP manually in the guest.

Does it work if you set the IP manually?

VLANs can be a bit tricky to debug. Do you have a switch in between? Is the VLAN configured correctly? (Tagged / Trunk) on both ports (PVE server, router/dhcp server)?

Do you have a switch in between?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that i have a switch between my router and the server. The switch im using is an HP PrpCurve 1810g-8. the port 1 of it is a Tagged port with the following vlans [1, 2, 3, 4], vlan 2 is a 10.0.2.0 network ... and vlan 4 is a 10.0.3.0 network. Port 6 of the switch is a Tagged port and not an Untagged one wich should allow all vlans out of there right?

Port 1 is where the router (pfsense? judging from the screenshot) and port 6 is where vmbr1 is connected to? It has the same VLANs configured as tagged?

Then I would try to configure an IP on the guest manually and see if you can ping the router. If that does not work you will have to debug the VLAN settings on all involved parts further and can ignore anything DHCP related. It can help to configure an IP for that VLAN on the switch to check how far you get as you then can ping the switch directly.

Port 1 is where the router (pfsense? judging from the screenshot) and port 6 is where vmbr1 is connected to? It has the same VLANs configured as tagged?

Then I would try to configure an IP on the guest manually and see if you can ping the router. If that does not work you will have to debug the VLAN settings on all involved parts further and can ignore anything DHCP related. It can help to configure an IP for that VLAN on the switch to check how far you get as you then can ping the switch directly.

firefox_RTKO6Q9qkD.png
vlan is still quite confusing for me, on vlan 3 has its port 1 tagged and port 5 is the pve host(management) and port 6 is the vmbr1, not sure if still carys vlan 4 in vlan 3 from the switch? nor could it be my trunk?

Is the mgmt interface in VLAN3? Otherwise I don't know why you would configure it untagged on the switch port where the mgmt interface of the PVE node is connected to. Otherwise if the cables are attached correctly it does look okay.
ot sure if still carys vlan 4 in vlan 3 from the switch
What do you mean by that? That a machine in VLAN 3 can reach a machine in VLAN 4? You need routing for that which is either done in the router/firewall or maybe the switch can do that as well. You most likely won't have any firewall capability then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!