wifi and dns

d00d

May 5, 2021
I'm a noob and I'm trying to setup proxmox on a machine that has a wifi connection to the router (I don't have physical access to the router). Whenever I setup proxmox, I am unable to connect to the web interface so I think it's a DNS problem. A windows computer that's also connected to wifi shows the DNS server as 192.168.1.1 but I don't think that's correct.

Routers often provide DNS caching and if 192.168.1.1 is the address of your router, it could be correct. Please note that Proxmox does not support WiFi very easily and often not a all for bridged VM connectivity. What URL does the Proxmox console login screen show? How did you configure WiFi on the Proxmox host manually? Can you show your /etc/network/interfaces? Can you log into the console and do ping -c 1 1.1.1.1 and apt-get update work?

What URL does the Proxmox console login screen show?
https://192.168.100.2:8006/

How did you configure WiFi on the Proxmox host manually?
I didn't configure any and it never crossed my mind (d'oh! o_O) so this must be the problem. I will look into setting the credentials for the wifi here and here unless someone can offer a quick fix to this

Can you show your /etc/network/interfaces?
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.2/24
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge_ports enp3so
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Can you log into the console and do ping -c 1 1.1.1.1
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.100.2 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

1 packets transmitted, 0 received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

and apt-get update work?
Here's some additional info:2021-05-09_153455b.jpg

1.) if you are using Wifi you can't use static IPs. You need to use DHCP so the Router will give you a IP. Thats bad because your IP will change over time so you can't host any services or access the WebUI because you don't know the IP. In that case you need to setup your router to give your Proxmox host a static DHCP lease to tell the router to give your Proxmox server always the same IP.
2.) you can't use some random subnets. If your router is your gateway and it is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet your proxmox host needs to be in that subnet too (so a IP from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254)...at least with normal consumer routers...
3.) If your routers IP is 192.168.1.1 that is your gateway and not 192.168.100.1

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!