Correct way to configure wireless networks?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
I've got a wireless interface in my host box (wlp7s0) that I use as a backup ISP when/if my regular ISP goes down.

I'm having some trouble getting the interface configured such that it will come up at boot and connect to the SSID when it's available. I'm able to do it manually via the first few steps here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/283757

nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
# Insert:
# network={
# ssid="wifi_name"
# psk="wifi_key"
# }

ip link set wlp7s0 down
ip link set wlp7s0 up
wpa_supplicant -B -iwlp7s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dnl80211,wext
dhclient wlp7s0

However when I reboot, this interface is no longer active and must be manually reconfigured.

What's the preferred or proper way to set up a wireless interface to keep presenting itself for use after reboot with Debian and Proxmox such that it's offered as a Linux bridge for a guest I'm using as the gateway?

What's the preferred or proper way to set up a wireless interface to keep presenting itself for use after reboot with Debian and Proxmox such that it's offered as a Linux bridge for a guest I'm using as the gateway?

The first part is easy:

https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wpa_supplicant

The second not so much. Bridging WiFi is tricky, because your hardware and your driver must support this. If it does not, you cannot enslave the wifi device in your bridge and it'll not work. Have you tested this?

Your Wifi card has to support something called Infrastructure Mode -- which means it can make a bridge. Way back when I used to be able to do this when I was playing around trying to crack my WEP wireless security. From what I remember, many atheros cards could do this, but Im not aware of any Broadcom cards that could be put into this mode. As stated above, its really dependent on your hardware/firware.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!