Why doesn't the 6.4 install see my areca 1886 arrays?

fammed

Jan 28, 2015
Trying to install 6.4 via iso on a Supermicro box with an Areca 1886-8i controller but these devices are not present when I boot to the installer. All it sees is the USB stick I booted the ISO from (Ventoy). I have a 8TB sata RAID10 and and a 2TB SSD RAID5 array on the Areca card. Any thoughts as to why this is?

I started the install and left as it started copying files. When I came back it was stuck at 52%. I used the [ALT]+[F1,2,3] keys to view the console contents. There was a kernel message saying:

Code:
Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3d.
Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

Found a posting from Wolfgang saying to disable C-States in the bios for someone with a similar issue.

I should probably mention this system is a Supermicro Superserver 6029P-TR with an add-on Areca 1886 card. It has "RAID" on the board which might be an option if the areca driver is hosed. I just assumed it was some sort of cheesy software RAID so didn't even bother with it.

The install gets to 52% and then segfaults. Looks like something involving the areca driver. Screenshot says it's too big so the pic is here

Not sure what to do next. The Areca firmware shows it's from March of 2021 but I'll see if I can upgrade to whatever the latest is.

Last edited:
Upgraded both BIOS and Areca firmware to latest, but no luck. The arcmsr module on the test iso is just too old for the 1886 card. I'm going back to the onboard raid for now. Areca has the kernel source available but I've gone that route in the past and if you forget to rebuild your module after a kernel upgrade, you don't have any disks when you reboot (would be nice if dkms actually worked).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!