[SOLVED] Who should run ZFS volume: Proxmox or virtual file server ?

Wumpus

Apr 30, 2023
Hi all,
I am currently planing to virtualize my private/personal OpenMediaVault server (OMV) as I plan to run more (virtual) servers in the future.
Currently, OMV is installed on a single SDD (with regular backups, I might add redundancy in the future) and runs a ZFS pool on "traditional" hard disks as "data tank" (RAID-Z1 plus regular backups). So far, I planned to give the virtualized OMV full access to the hard disks and have OMV to manage/drive the ZFS pool, just the same way as before. I did some promising tests with KVM/Qemu on regular Linux distros.
Currently I am evaluating Proxmox, and I discovered that Proxmox supports ZFS natively. So now the question is: should I let Proxmox run the ZFS pool and have OMV accessing it via emulated hard disk as usual, or should I have OMV running the ZFS-pool by configuring a passthrough of the hard disks as explained here in Proxmox?

The downside of having Proxmox running the ZFS pool is that I have to migrate the content into the disk image(s). Are there any advantages? Live migration is not an issue.

Current server configuration:
Pentium Gold + 32 GiB ECC on MB Fujitsu D3641-S12
50 GiB SSD (to be extended...)
3 WDC WD40EFRX-68N as ZFS Raid-Z1

Kind Regards,
Wumpus

You could also mount your zpool in PVE and use a LX(C) container for your OpenMediaVault, couldn't you? With that in mind, you only have von ZFS pool and can use it for both.

Reactions: Wumpus
It seems that I was somewhat deceived by the post in the OMV forum concerning LXC containers, I found a couple of information about this (thanx @LnxBil for pointing me to that direction). Therefore, I am considering this thread as solved for now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!