where does proxmox name come from ?

dominix

Renowned Member
Jan 10, 2012
GMT -10
where does proxmox name come from ? I guess it could be some "mox" for your proc(s) to figure a boost given to the CPU, but german are not usually pro-nuclear energy, so I doubt about this.
Can you tell about the reason this name was choosen ?

thanks.
:)

according to this rather old interview with martin ( http://old.montanalinux.org/proxmox-ve-martin-interview.html ):

The name? Yes, that is a commonly asked question. I enjoy mountain climbing and on a never ending long uphill it just hit my brain. I returned from the trip and typed "Proxmox" into Google and got NO returns. So it was clear that I found a new name, registered everything and the rest is history.

Reactions: kwinz
ok, thank for your answer.
You gave me the reason why Martin did name it proxmox, because this name was not used, so google was free to serve for this purpose.
I would like to know why he think about proxmox itselft. Did martin think about Mox energy fuel ? I guess yes.

any comment everybody ? (I know, it's pure spéculation), anyway I like this name pretty much.

You gave me the reason why Martin did name it proxmox, because this name was not used, so google was free to serve for this purpose.
I would like to know why he think about proxmox itselft. Did martin think about Mox energy fuel ? I guess yes.

any comment everybody ? (I know, it's pure spéculation), anyway I like this name pretty much.

I suppose he thought of it as processing and MX tool only that the company would be a driver for in back in 2005. It's an interesting dynamics, I wonder how much lively the user base is for PMG vs PVE nowadays...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!