what to do if my proxmox provider does not support the Default Bridge Configuration

kerimdk

Oct 7, 2022
Hello,
i have a proxmox server with a single ip addres and that's my correct network configuration :

Code:
# network interface settings; autogenerated

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 1**.2**.2*.**/24
        gateway 1**.2**.2*.1
        bridge-ports eth0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

up ip route replace 173.249.21.0/24 via 1**.2**.2*.1 dev vmbr0

but my provider did not give me an ip range to use with the vms,
i have take a look for the Routed Configuration, but i think i need both ip a public IP address and an additional IP block for the VMs,
so how can i get them? isn't my proxmox server's ip is the public ip? then from where can i get the additional ip block?
to be honest i'm not that good at the networking and i need to configure my network to give internet access to the vms and cts.

Last edited:
if you have only 1 public ip address for your server, and 0 additionial public ip for your vms,

the only way, is to use private ips inside yours vms, and do port redirection with iptables rules, but it's pretty limited (port 80 -> vm1, port 22 -> vm2,....)

(tldr: you should by extra ips to your provider)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!