What is the true way for using/creating NAS

Donitoza

Jan 4, 2018
Hi all.

I have a dedicated server to create NAS, primarily backups data from VMs and hosts.
What is the true way for this job:
1. Proxmox as NAS - Install proxmox and configure some "NAS services" (NFS, SMB, FTP)? Can I do this easy (from gui)?
2. Proxmox only using NAS - Install other OS that is primarily using as NAS (FreeNAS, Open Media Vault)?
3. Maybe something else?

Please help me.

1. Proxmox as NAS - Install proxmox and configure some "NAS services" (NFS, SMB, FTP)? Can I do this easy (from gui)?
Do not install any other software on a HV, this is only blocking you if you want to update the PVE.

I've managed to install FreeNAS as a VM inside Proxmox and pass-through 3 HDDs. Then FreeNAS is using those HDD with ZFS-raid1. All working fine, the only thing not working is SMART inside the FreeNAS.

This is the next thing what you not shall to do. Create an ZFS Raid on the PVE node, add this as storage and put the virtual disk on it.
You only add more complexity and layer between, you are not able to backup the VM and restore it on another node, because you have a special config.

Let the node and PVE manage your hardware, and the VM only do his own stuff.

I use Proxmox + ceph and cephfs installed on 3 nodes as NAS with a HA ubuntu 18.04 VM that connects to cephfs and serves SMB. AM very happy with it since ceph does such a wonderfull job of scrubbing and keeping my data in mint condition even if I kill one of the nodes!! :)

I highly recommend it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!