[SOLVED] What is disk io showing?

Mar 29, 2021
Hi.
I'm fairly new to proxmox and was wandering what disk io in summary showing (io per what?).
And is it's ok to have like 18 million peak on vm boot?

If there's any useful link to documentation or an article you can share, It'll be appreciated.

Last edited:
The graph just shows the amount of data read/written (y-axis) at a particular moment in time (x-axis). This is useful as an overview, to understand if a specific VM is demanding on a disk.

And is it's ok to have like 18 million peak on vm boot?
Are you referring to a value given in 'M' at the side, this would just mean that the VM read/wrote (depending on color) this amount of data on startup, which is really no concern.

Reactions: Serhii Chebonenko
Screenshot from 2022-09-02 17-51-06.png

I'm assuming the `k` means kilobytes, not thousands? (and if it does mean thousands, are they thousands of disk reads/writes, accesses or something else?)

I have the same question. Is this IO operations or amount of data? I know my hard disks can read at about 150 MB/s - can I expect to see this rise to 150M during periods of intense disk reading?

I can confirm that it's a measure of data read/written by the disk. I copied some data around on the OS disk and saw the reported values in the OS match up with the Disk IO graph for that VM. I would presume it's KiB/MiB as that is what is used in other places in the Proxmox GUI.

What could be confusing to some is that the sample rate is every few minutes (not sure of the exact number) so it's not immediately obvious what the number represents unless you have a disk operation that runs for quite a few minutes

Reactions: gavinlaking

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!