Well, I'm Back. I Should Have Never Left You Baby.

Seed

Oct 18, 2019
After sorta getting bored, I wanted to try something new. And I wasn't super happy with a 3 node CEPH cluster even on a 10GBe storage backend. although the flexibility was very nice. Things still felt slightly laggy, so I decided to venture out. Prior to moving on I was running OMV 5.x and eventually OMV 6.x with Portainer and some VMs on the Proxmox Hyperviser and it worked well.

So I sold all the 3 nodes and consolidated 3 8C/16T D1541 machines with 128GB RAM each and 12x10TB disks to a single 5950x build with 128GB RAM using ZFS and I can say, it's a much better experience. I then ran Unraid on it as the main OS. Overall I learned once again why Proxmox is really the only solution one should consider running on bare metal. You never want to fudge up and customize your core OS that manages all your services. Even with IPMI and such it just doesn't work out well most the time in my 20 years of experience or so. It just goes to spaghetti right away and down the road the maintenance of it becomes arduous.

So after running Unraid for about 6 months, I began to feel Unwell about my setup, so with Proxmox 7 release I went back to running that on bare metal and once again I am finding happiness and sunshine in my life. Using this along with the very mature PCIe passthrough I was able to pass all the ZFS devices and shares to my TrueNAS SCALE vm easily and now feel like I have the best of both worlds. A NAS solution that is performant, and a hypervisor that is just plain f*%(@#ing amazing as always.

I am now a subscriber and plan to be in this relationship for awhile. I'm sorry for leaving you baby. I hope you can take me back.

I am now a subscriber and plan to be in this relationship for awhile. I'm sorry for leaving you baby. I hope you can take me back.
You're always welcome back, sweetie pie. Thanks for being so open with us, this way nothing can ever tear us apart again. ;)

TrueNAS SCALE
Oh nifty, so they got the Linux-based release out the door? Still on CORE over here, previously FreeNAS; would be great to get off BSD.

a hypervisor that is just plain f*%(@#ing amazing as always.
Print that out, hang it on your wall, and try to not fall for other all-looks no-substance hypervisors again, okay? You know Proxmox is your #1.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!