Web UI feature requests

patefoniq

Jan 7, 2019
Łódź
syslink.pl
Hi,

I've created the ticket on Bugzilla, but I don't know if it will be processed. It's only a small feature:

Hi,

Please add the server brand and model in the summary view of PVE, just like VMware does.
I can do that via the below command, so I can believe it should be simple when it will be done via Perl or another developer's Abracadabra.

dmidecode -s processor-version && dmidecode -s system-manufacturer && dmidecode -s system-product-name

It's a very desirable functionality because sometimes there is a need to create some picture-based reports to management to show how old hardware is in the server room. This will make this job easier, especially when there is a need to use a simple message -- screenshot from web UI vs screenshot from some Abracadabra in the console.

1701798188565.png

1701798207617.png

I also have another small request. Could you change the way of declaring the RAM for the VM, from MiB to GiB? No one is using megabytes for VMS' now, the standard is dozens of gigabytes. The current solution forces me to use the calculator for correctly assigning the RAM.

Please add the server brand and model in the summary view of PVE, just like VMware does.
Could also be useful to better help people when they post screenshots.

No one is using megabytes for VMS' now, the standard is dozens of gigabytes. The current solution forces me to use the calculator for correctly assigning the RAM.
I'm still using MiBs for smaller Linux VMs but I would be fine with 0.5 or 0.75 GiB too. ;)
Would be better with PVE multiplying our GiBs with 1024 to store it in the config file as MiB than we thinking in GiBs and having to calculate it to MiBs first.

Would be better with PVE multiplying our GiBs with 1024 to store it in the config file as MiB than we thinking in GiBs and having to calculate it to MiBs first.
Yes, I can agree with that. I only would like to have the option to declare my memory with two units, MiB and GiB like in VMware:

1701852685567.png

It would be nice to have this option for the disk size also.

PS
And this is exactly what I wrote about in the Bugzilla comment, why you shouldn't do it like VMware. This is what happens when you change the units in VMware:

1701852961316.png

My post:
PS
But please, won't do that so badly as VMware has done it. In vCenter or ESXi UI when you change the units it shows the error because it doesn't calculate it properly about the whole host RAM. For instance, you set 800 while GB is selected (before you change it to MB), and you get the red field with an error message because you have only 300 GB on your host -- this is so, so annoying. Please, do not verify that until the "next" button is pressed.

Yes, I can agree with that. I only would like to have the option to declare my memory with two units, MiB and GiB like in VMware:

1701852685567.png
But then calling 2^20 bytes actually "MiB" and not "MB", please. ;)

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!